eBook ideas

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

FTIR

Re: eBook ideas

Post by FTIR » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:03 am

"...eBook will target one topic...Clients and family more important..."

"Would an book on Optimal Workouts for certain race distances be helpful?"

"I would focus on one distance per book."

It seems to me an Optimal Workouts book series (while an incredibly awesome idea) is more than you should promise to do.  Writing is like running, don't bite off too much in the beginning.  Most importantly, as you always say with the running ball, if you can keep the writing ball rolling, you will get there eventually.

It also seems that an Optimal Workouts book series would give away ALL of your secret's, which isn't in your clients interest. (Disclaimer:  I'm not a client, yet.)

One of the things that keeps me coming back to this site is your long list of training stories and their "running morals".  Could you write a book with say 20 stories about a given level and season say HS cross country or college track? 

In some ways, the book would be like an advertisement for your coaching service.  (although when your first book comes out next spring, I think you are going to have lots more clients)  While a stories book could be entertaining, it could also be pretty specific about which workouts were needed for a certain race for a certain level runner, without giving away the farm.  Finally, while it could be spun into a series, but if you could only manage the time to write one, I for one, wouldn't be left disappointed.
Last edited by FTIR on Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

qrkid

Post by qrkid » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:08 am

I really like the idea of optimal workouts for a specific distance.

Racing Flat

Post by Racing Flat » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:58 am

[quote="Tinman"]
Would an book on Optimal Workouts for certain race distances be helpful?

[/quote]

I think this would be very helpful and popular to boot. If it was me I’d start with the marathon and this would likely be the most popular due to participant numbers and the profile of those who run marathoners (perhaps a bit older and therefore more likely to be in the market for books which might help them improve). If the marathon one went down well, then this might bode well for the shorter distances.

Of course there are some well known marathon training books out there, but I get a feeling many people are now looking for ‘the next step’. Perhaps those well known books are now getting a tad dated and are perhaps too generic once someone has got over their first marathon or two.

Good luck with it.

oldhamdog

Post by oldhamdog » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:49 am

I like the Optimal workouts for a miler.  Please include real life examples if possible using younger and older runners and the "mistakes" they made.

Tchuck

Post by Tchuck » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:51 pm

I also like optimal work outs for a specific distance ideally between 5K and marathon if you want to hit the most interest. A problem with being too specific like 23 minutes at 84% intensity or 84% of max HR, is that this may be too specific for many who read it unless you want to focus on the advanced runner which certainly would not be the biggest market out there but may be the ones willing to pay. I do think 5Ks and marathons are probably the two most popular races around so ideally focus on one of those two distances.
Those who try, fail! Those who do what it takes to succeed, will SUCCEED!

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:51 pm

Thanks for the feedback!  It's fun to see the enthusiasm and good ideas flowing!
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

wuxcalum

Post by wuxcalum » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:31 am

Being a HS coach, my suggestions is going to be biased towards that particular age group and HS running events.  I would love to read more about identifying kids as to the types of runners they are: Fast twitch, slow twitch or in-between.  Then how to train them differently for the same events.  For example you have two athletes capable of running 2:02 in the 800.  One is a former sprinter with 51 400 speed while the other is an excellent XC runner with 57 second quarter speed.  How would thier training differ?  I could go on with more examples, but I think you get the idea.  Thanks!!!

Clell

Post by Clell » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:33 am

Wuxcalum, you may have a great idea: namely helping to get more youngsters interested in running. How many High Schoolers don't run any longer because they were trained wrongly? Possibly an E-book focusing on HS runners could make it's way into every class room in the country. From one of the best coaches ever.

dkggpeters

Post by dkggpeters » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:14 pm

"It also seems that an Optimal Workouts book series would give away ALL of your secret's, which isn't in your clients interest. (Disclaimer:  I'm not a client, yet.)"

I wouldn't worry about this.  I thought the same thing but there is a difference to coaching and customizing a plan that works specifically for your strengths and weaknesses.  I am sure that Tinman has many tricks up his sleeve that wouldn't get published anyways.

I used to think that I could effectively train myself and wouldn't need a coach.  As my goals have become much more aggressive I have found out that a coach is required.  I need to protect myself from myself.

Dave