Neuromuscular fitness

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

Captainblood

Neuromuscular fitness

Post by Captainblood » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:26 am

Was re-reading some sections of a Brad Hudson book and he talks about identifying your primary weakness:  aerobic fitness, neoromuscular fitness, or specific race endurance.  When I first read "Run Faster" I realized I was the poster child for lagging neuromuscular fitness.  Speed workouts were challenging, I was very weak on hills, my legs would be a factor on threshold workouts.  I also had a lot of muscle and tendon soreness.  And sometimes during races I would fall into a comfortable pace behind another runner.  I wasn't laboring, but when it got time to pick up the pace and chase a runner ahead of me I didn't have the get-up-and-go.  I would finish a race and feel it wasn't so bad -- maybe a 9.

My philosophy is to identify weaknesses and address them.  So over the past few months I have done a lot of lower body weights, corework, hill sprints, and strides.  I can tell I have improved quite a bit.  Now when I am tiring on a run instead of gutting it out and relying on my lungs to carry my legs I can focus on keeping my form and I feel like my legs are carrying me rather than just along for the ride.

I have increased the number and duration of my hill sprints (which I believe this board would call hill charges) on some of my recovery days to eight 20 second hill sprints up a 6 degree hill at 6:00 pace.

Should I gradually continue to increase the time until I am at 30 seconds per sprint?  Or should I now focus on increasing my speed (6:00 pace is my 5k race pace)?  Or should I increase the grade of the hill (the beauty of a treadmill)?  Or continue to tack on hill sprints until I reach 10 or 12?