First 5k in a Long Time - Need Goal Advice

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

Josh1

Re: First 5k in a Long Time - Need Goal Advice

Post by Josh1 » Fri May 30, 2014 8:45 am

I'm going to take the time to keep anyone updated who is interested.  Today I had the day off of work, so I logged a big, faster workout this morning on the track before the kids arrived at school.  I actually tried to use some ideas of Tinman's thoughts from other posts.

After a 2 mile progressive warm-up, I completed 6x100 at about 5k to 3k pace, then followed that with 1 mile at 5k effort (6:18), 6 minute jog, then 8 x 400m at a pace I think I could run in a 2400m time trial.  The average was right around or slightly faster than 90 seconds per 400m and I took a 200m very slow 2 min jog recovery between reps.  Most of the repeats were right at :89 or :90, one or two were at :91, and the last one was :87.5 without really intentionally pushing the pace.  I took a slow 3 mile jog cool down after the workout.

Going in I didn't know if 6 repeats or 8 would be more appropriate.  The plan was to be flexible and adapt after the 6th rep.  Although the workout got harder after the 6th 400m rep, it didn't feel unmanagable.  My goal is to run a CV workout in modest volume on Monday or Tuesday of the coming week and then race a 5k next Friday night, a week from today.  Hopefully the results are closer to 19 flat this time  :-)
Last edited by Josh1 on Fri May 30, 2014 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Schebo

Post by Schebo » Fri May 30, 2014 11:37 am

[quote="Josh1"]
I'm going to take the time to keep anyone updated who is interested.  Today I had the day off of work, so I logged a big, faster workout this morning on the track before the kids arrived at school.  I actually tried to use some ideas of Tinman's thoughts from other posts.

After a 2 mile progressive warm-up, I completed 6x100 at about 5k to 3k pace, then followed that with 1 mile at 5k effort (6:18), 6 minute jog, then 8 x 400m at a pace I think I could run in a 2400m time trial.  The average was right around or slightly faster than 90 seconds per 400m and I took a 200m very slow 2 min jog recovery between reps.  Most of the repeats were right at :89 or :90, one or two were at :91, and the last one was :87.5 without really intentionally pushing the pace.  I took a slow 3 mile jog cool down after the workout.

Going in I didn't know if 6 repeats or 8 would be more appropriate.  The plan was to be flexible and adapt after the 6th rep.  Although the workout got harder after the 6th 400m rep, it didn't feel unmanagable.  My goal is to run a CV workout in modest volume on Monday or Tuesday of the coming week and then race a 5k next Friday night, a week from today.  Hopefully the results are closer to 19 flat this time  :-)
[/quote]
The recovery times seem a little long to me. About half time rec after 5k pace repeats and equal after 3k paced repeats are more appropriate.

Josh1

Post by Josh1 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:03 pm

I've been making progress since my last post.  June was a very stressful month for my wife and I, but I did manage to run 19:20 for a 5K after being out of town for two straight weeks, as well as some other very stressful "real life" events.  There were a few days after I got home where I wanted to go to bed right after supper at 7pm.  I stayed the course, got more sleep, and slowed down the paces but still went through the motions and still managed to chip a few more seconds off of my time from a month prior.  This was a night race in the south and it was about 90 degrees and humid at the start - not too shabby considering I sweat a lot and do horrible in the heat.

I've been incorporating some 5k and 3k paced reps once per week after CV or Stamina reps if I'm not racing.  I've also just this week started incorporating some striders in the last mile of some easy runs.

I have two questions:

1)  Is it too much to do a CV workout that progresses to 5k pace at the end with a 4 x 1 mile Stamina workout and a long run (10 - 12 miles) in the same non-racing week - as long as all other mileage is easy mileage?  Easy days represent about 10 - 12% of my weekly mileage

2)  Is this specific workout too hard for my fitness level (this would be an example of a CV workout that would progress to 5k/3k pace):

4 x 1000m at CV - 2 min jog recoveries
3 x 800m at 5k pace, 400m jog recoveries
2 x 600m at 3k pace, 400m jog recoveries
Mile paced 100m striders afterward

This would be my hardest workout of the week.  My goal is to continue to improve through the rest of the calendar year.  I hope to get to around 18:30 for the 5k once the weather cools down later in the year (late November).

dilluh

Post by dilluh » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:47 pm

If you want consistent improvement I would consider only doing the 3k-5k pace work every other week. You seem like an in-betweener, i.e., you feel 3k-5k pace is very fast and thrive at slightly longer races up to HM. As someone similar to your situation (I feel like the 5k is the most painful (in a good, challenging way) distance I've ever raced), I find that even a "moderate" 5k-pace workout can be fairly taxing. Don't get me wrong, I think these workouts must be done in order to improve, but I feel they should be used judiciously. I think this should give you steady improvement leading into the fall without risk of burning out.

Also, don't beat yourself up too much when "real life" gets in the way. It happens, and can negatively affect your racing more than you might think even if you are getting the proper number of hours of sleep - I know, I've been there.

Josh1

Post by Josh1 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:33 pm

Thanks, I appreciate your comments.  Sometimes I wonder if the 3k and 5k paces feel difficult for me because I went years ignoring those paces.  When I was 15 years younger in high school, I never once would have complained about 5k pace being the most uncomfortable of paces.  I actually had modest speed in high school with a 26 sec 200 and a 2:09 800. 

The most recent 5k I mentioned felt much more relaxed than some of the previous races, and it was after completing the 2 or 3 stamina workouts finishing at 3k and 5k paces leading up to that race.  The improvement over the last month was not huge, but life and the wether that day also wasn't ideal leading up to the race.

To sum it up, I'm trying to figure out if I've become comfortable at the paces I've practiced or if I've practiced the paces I'm comfortable running. 
Last edited by Josh1 on Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.