My Boston Marathon

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

dkggpeters

My Boston Marathon

Post by dkggpeters » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:25 pm

This is kind of long.  Sorry it took so long.

My Boston experience was very exciting even though I missed what time I felt confident that I could achieve.  A took a risk being a little aggressive and missed by realistic target by less than a couple of minutes.  The more I think about it, the happier that I am with my results, especially after looking back over the last 6 or 7 months.
My last marathon was last September 28, 2013 in which I was in incredible shape and was targeting a 2:43.  The problem was that I literally ran myself into the ground and ended up with a 2:49:25 which I was happy with as I had to battle to get under 2:50 and I won my age group by a whopping 7 seconds.  I incurred severe hamstring problems in training prior to the race and had to really battle for the last half of the race.  There is a sense of satisfaction knowing that even when things go south, that I was able to salvage a decent result and I didn’t give up and throw in the towel.

After Akron I could hardly run at all for about 2 ½ months.  Whatever runs I did have and they were not many were extremely painful and I was struggling to maintain a 8:45 to 9:00 pace.  Trust me when I say that it is humbling when you are running down the path at 8:45 and someone passes you going just 10 or so seconds a mile faster than you while looking back with that look of I am racing you.  And I couldn’t even go with them and speed up the pace.  I would run once or twice for about 6 or so miles and then take a couple of more weeks off.  My fitness took a huge hit and the hamstrings didn’t seem to be getting any better.  I honestly felt like I didn’t know how to run any more.  Going from having that effortless light on your feet stride while moving rapidly to being tighter than tight and just feeling awkward.

In the beginning of December I was starting to get a little consistency in training but still experiencing a lot of pain.  I would get a run in which I started to get a glimmer of feeling like a runner which was still not faster than 8:00 pace and then have the couple following days just feeling awful.  My confidence was shattered and I wondered if that was it for me as to being able to run a fast marathon.  Something inside of me resisted this feeling and felt that I could come back.  I decided to finally get smart about my training and decided to hire a coach.  The answer was simple and there was no question that I was going to hire Tinman as I used his training methods on how I interpreted them from therunzone.com forum.  I had already had great success with his methods.  I felt that I have a few more years in which I could get faster in the marathon at a minimum if I could stay healthy and not have significant long term layoffs like I was experiencing now.

It goes without saying that he had his work cut out for him on this one.  Tinman was able to gradually incorporate quality and mileage over the next month.  I know look back at some of my paces and almost laugh as they felt hard at the time but it shows how much fitness I had lost and the hamstrings were still constantly sore and had pain but it was starting to decrease.  I also started seeing my PT Leo Kormanik again and was benefiting from this greatly.  Some of my sessions that felt difficult at the time were 6 x ½ mile tempo at 6:30 pace with ¼ mile recoveries.  I ran a 12 mile run on Xmas Eve with my running Group and had a hard time maintaining a 8:30 avg pace.  I was getting dropped by everyone.  I also did a 5 mile tempo at the beginning of January in which I averaged 6:43 and it was hard.  I knew to stay the course as I was starting to see improvements every week.

In the middle of January I ran into another roadblock and had an interruption in training and didn’t run much for a week and a half.  I had a cat that was near and dear to me whom was dying due to kidney failure and I opted to spend time comforting her rather than train.  After her passing, my Son was involved in a Science Olympiad in which we had a tournament the following weekend and had to finish up a bunch of projects forcing a lot of more missed runs.  Tinman felt my frustration and stated that we should put this behind us and slowly ease back into quality sessions.  I remember that Sunday’s so called long run of 14 miles at 8:20 pace as being difficult and everything was sore and hurt.  He was able to integrate quality  back into my training in just the right doses as over the next few weeks I was starting to pick up momentum and the paces were starting to get faster while the stride was starting to come back.  My sessions with Leo were going well and I was responding well to his treatments.  In fact,  Over the previous year I have had a lot of problems with bursitis in my right heal in which he worked on and I haven’t had any issues since then.

I didn’t have any long runs of 20 miles until about 8 weeks out from Boston and was starting to get concerned as I would have done quite a few already in previous training cycles.  Over the next 6 weeks I was able to get in a total of 8 20+ long runs, a ton of 18 mile quality sessions, and a lot of easy 16 to 17 mile easy MLR’s.  My volume every week was starting to increase nicely and I was finally pain free and noticing increases in fitness weekly.  Tinman really tightened the screws in the last month as volume increased quite nicely.  This is the first time I have put in a 100+ MPW off of only singles and on one week just 6 days of running rather than 7.  I was starting to feel stronger and stronger while my paces continued to drop.  This made trying to pick a planned MP pace tough but I asked for advice on goal pace and was instructed to not worry about pace and just run by feel.

One other huge challenge in this training cycle is that we had extremely cold weather in NE Ohio during January to the beginning of April.  We had too many negative wind chill days to count and countless Sundays in which we were pelted with a lot of snow making the roads very hard to run on.  Regardless of the weather, I did the majority of these runs outdoors and only did some of my recovery runs on the Treadmill.

Pre Race

I arrived in Boston on Friday and roomed with 3 team mates on Friday and Saturday until my Wife arrived on Sunday.  It was fun eating tons of food and having all the running talk.  We did quite a bit of walking around on Saturday but I made sure to stay off my feet on Sunday.  It was also fun competing with Kam to see whom could eat the most pizza and have the biggest breakfast on Sunday morning.  We ate a lot.  I didn’t gorge but and was not stuffed, but I did eat a lot of food.

Race Morning

Woke up at 4:00 AM and had the usual prerace breakfast of oatmeal, bagel with cream cheese, banana and coffee.  I took a warm shower.  Since I was able to get on a private charter bus we headed over to where it was going to pick us up at 6:15 am.  We headed out towards Hopkinton at approx 7:00 am and arrived in Hopkinton around 7:45 am or so.  Someone in the Akron running group (a different running group than my group SERC) knew someone whom lives In Hopkinton about a mile from the start line.  We hung out there until around 9:00 am and had use of true toilets and a warm environment.  The charter drove us up a road about a ½ mile from the starting line and we walked up from there.  I took one more pee break  and was in the starting corral by 9:30.  At this time I drank my Hornet’s Juice and had a banana and just stayed warm with my throw away sweat jacket.  I left a little hornets juice for a gel that I consumed about 5 minutes prior to the start.  I was staged in the second corral and was about 1/3 of the way back staying to the left had side as I like to be on the edge of roads to pass if needed and you don’t feel as crowded like being in the middle.

Race

1K to 5K

It took about 45 to 50 seconds to cross the starting line and was able to get into a decent pace right away.  Went through the first mile in 6:19 which was right about where I wanted to be.  One thing that was unusual is that I had really dry mouth by the first water station.  It still felt really crowded but we were able to pick up speed and went through mile 2 in 6:04 and mile 3 in 6:03.  I felt really relaxed in the first few miles.

6K to 10K

Mile 4 things started to open up and about ¾ of a mile into it I noticed I was at 5:48 pace so decide to dial it back and still came through at 5:52.  I was still feeling good and making sure that I hit all the water stops and had Gatorade.  I continued on around 6 pace and hit mile 5 in 6:06 and mile 6 in 6:01.  I took a second gel around this time.  Still feeling pretty good.

11K to 15K

Came through mile 7 in 6:01.  It was during this section that I noticed that I went through the last 6 miles a little to hot so I decided to dial it back just a bit.  I then hit mile 8 in 6:07 and mile 9 in 6:10.

16K to 20K

This is where I started to feel the pace a bit and dialed back in mile 10 to 6:17, mile 11 in 6:15, and mile 12 in 6:07.  The Wellesley scream tunnel made it easy to drop the pace.  I also did a lot of side fives down the line.  Sorry ladies but I am on a mission and waiting for my kiss at the finish from my Wife. There was some inclines in this section which you could feel in miles 10 and 11.  I knew that I was right around 2:40 pace but knew that I wouldn’t be able to hold for the second half due to the hills so I was prepared to regroup and not push the hills hard and blow up.  It was also in this section where the direct sun made it feel a lot warmer then it was so I made sure to take Gatorade at all stops and took water to drink a sip and dump the rest over my head.  I also took my third gel around 20K.

21K to 25K

Mile 13 came through in 6:12 and I hit the half in 1:20:40 so I knew at this point 2:40 wasn’t going to happen.  No big deal as I knew in my heart that it would take the perfect storm for it to happen today so it was time to continue on and get a good PR.  It was in this mile in which I starting getting a lot of twinges in the thick tendon behind the left knee.  I had times where there was momentary failure and I had to really concentrate on keeping things together.  I was thinking that my day was going to be done and would have to walk jog it in.  This continued for a couple of miles and then went away and never had and issue for the remainder of the race.  I hit mile 14 in 6:14 and mile 15 in 6:24.  Lost a little focus in mile 15 and was preparing for the hills.

26K to 30K

Mile 16 has a really nice downhill and got to use Tinman’s recommendation on how to run downhill smoothly and came through in 6:05.  I was in sub 6 pace as the uphill started around near the end of this mile.  Mile 17 was 6:31 and mile 18 at 6:36.  Now we are in the Newton hills and I made sure to stay relaxed on the uphills.  I noticed a lot of people passed me at the bottom of the uphills, I would catch them about half way up, and pass them by quite a bit by the top.  I made sure to keep an even effort  and not charge the bottom of the hills.  I should have taken my last gel around 30K but did not.

31K to 35K

The hills continued and mile 19 was 6:29, mile 20 in 6:31 and finally heartbreak at mile 21 in 6:49.  I could start to warm weather now but wasn’t suffering like a lot of others as I was passing quite a few people in this section.  I wasn’t very pleased with the pace that I went up heartbreak though.

36K to 40K

Was able to regroup on the downhill after heartbreak and hit mile 22 in 6:13.  I was continuing to pass quite a few people which gave me extra motivation to speed up a bit.  I hit mile 23 in 6:25 (this mile has a hill which you always forget about) and mile 24 in 6:15.  Mile 25 came in at 6:13.  The miles in this section went by quickly and I didn’t have that end of the marathon feeling where every mile just drags by.  It was also in this section that I passed a blind runner which was just incredible to see a blind person be able to run that fast.  The applauds and screams that he got from the crowds was really load and very deserving.  It was also in this section that I passed a guy wearing leather sandals.  I couldn’t believe it.

41K to finish

Not sure what happened in mile 26 as I came through in 6:36.  I was focusing on the race clocks and thought that I was no going to get under 2:45 so I lost some focus here.  I could have easily made up 20 seconds or so here.  Lesson learned as I made the same stupid mistake I made last year of going by the race clocks and not adjusting for the time that it took me to cross the start line.  When I turned onto Boylston I picked it up and since my Wife told me that she would be on the right side by mile 26 I ran on that side looking for her.  I was able to spot her (Not possible last year) and then I pushed the last .25 pretty hard.  I was able to run the last .4 at 5:36 pace.  I saw the race clock pushing close to 2:46 and when I stopped my watch I was surprised to see 2:44:50 so I was really pleased to go sub 2:45.

In the finishing chute I felt fine but after a couple of minutes I was getting really light headed.  I went over to one of the medical assistants and asked if I could sit down in their wheel chair and I was informed I would have to be taken into the medical tent.  I got my blood pressure taken and they informed me that it was really low and stated that I looked really flush.  After some Gatorade and a little food I started to feel fine and was then released.  I was originally worried when I was light headed as a couple of years ago I had a Syncope (fainting) incident in where I went from being light headed to waking up in the floor of the shower, tried to get up and passed out again.  I didn’t want that to happen again. 

Analysis

I came in 582nd place overall and 14th in the 50 to 54 age group.  Last year my time would have put me in the top 10 the race was faster this year do to the extra demand.  There was about 5 of us old folks right around my time.  If I would have run 20 seconds faster I would have gotten top 10 in my age group.  The moments of lost focus now had a big price.

I took a big risk today and figured I would give 2:40 a shot and see if things clicked.  Looking back I should have stayed with a 2:42 or 2:43 target as I did fade a bit on the back half.  Part of that fade may have been due to it feeling warm due to the direct sunlight.  But this is all would of, should of, could of.  I have no regrets for taking the chance as I knew that I probably wouldn’t fade too much if I figured by the half that it wouldn’t happen.  My previous PR was last years Boston at 2:47:32 so I PR’d by 2:40

With my lack of fitness earlier in the year due to couple of months of almost no training and very limited training for another month I wasn’t expecting much for Boston at one time.  Things started to really come together in my training and I was able to get in better shape than I was last fall even with a long build up.  I feel really good one week post marathon and don’t really have any niggles and I don’t feel beat up.  I am going to start the fall marathon training in with a great base and being healthy.

I had a blast in this training cycle as my training was a lot different than I expected was going to occur.  I really enjoyed the variety and the way the quality sessions were structured.  It was also fun finding routes to use to mimic the Boston hills for a lot of the quality sessions.  I found new hills that I didn’t know were there and I learned to do more quality workouts by feel as it is hard to do pacing on a hilly loop.  It was also fun getting stronger and stronger every week.

I am really looking forward to what is in store for my Fall marathon which will be Akron in September.  It is a tough course that is quite hilly on the back half.  I probably won’t go for 2:40 and stay with 2:42 or so as a goal but I will run it by feel.

monica

Re: My Boston Marathon

Post by monica » Fri May 02, 2014 12:47 am

Cool stuff! :)

It's funny about your niggle behind the left knee. I had some niggle around the knee myself in my marathon last year before half way.. it was getting worse.. and then it resolved on its own just like yours did :)

"Tinman’s recommendation on how to run downhill smoothly" - what is that? Leaning forward, not opening up stride too much? Or something else?

dkggpeters

Post by dkggpeters » Fri May 02, 2014 8:20 am

Monica,

Just about every marathon that I run I have some issue pop up.  This is to be expected as you are pushing yourself to your limit.  Fortunately, my training and mileage allow me to be able to deal with them.  Last year at Boston I had a huge blister on my right little toe burst at mile 21 and every step until the finish hurt.  I actually thought that I lost a toenail and it went under my toe as it felt like something was digging in to it.  I contemplated stopping to correct the issue but it wouldn't have done any good as it was not a toe nail but a blister.  I also expect a situation will pop up during the race and I know that I am going to have to deal with it and continue on.  I expect the worse so when something does happen I am ready for it.

If you want some of these tips then you should really hire Tinman as a coach.  I refuse to get into specifics on my training and some of the tips that he gives me as I feel enough knowledge is provided on this board. I do feel that compensation is appropriate for this knowledge.  Sorry.

runthe8

Post by runthe8 » Fri May 02, 2014 9:25 am

Thanks for sharing this.  It was really interesting to me, even though I will never run a marathon!  I love reading about how we 50plus year olds do, both in racing and training, and also all the physical challenges that go along with getting older and trying to stay competitive.  The chronic soreness you dealt with is something I also experience. I think injury management and pre-hab and rehab are the most time consuming aspect of racing well and being able to train when you are older.  And I just don't take the time to do it enough and have paid the price!

monica

Post by monica » Fri May 02, 2014 11:18 pm

[quote="dkggpeters"]
If you want some of these tips then you should really hire Tinman as a coach.  I refuse to get into specifics on my training and some of the tips that he gives me as I feel enough knowledge is provided on this board. I do feel that compensation is appropriate for this knowledge.  Sorry.
[/quote]

No worries.

shug

Post by shug » Wed May 07, 2014 1:59 pm

dkg--

Great post!

This is the first time I've heard of Hornet's Juice. Did/Do you notice any material improvement by taking it? I presume it must be ordered by mail as I have not seen it at any retail vitamin/nutrition shops.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of traffic on the web about it.

BoilerTom90

Post by BoilerTom90 » Wed May 07, 2014 2:42 pm

[quote="shug"]
dkg--

Great post!

This is the first time I've heard of Hornet's Juice. Did/Do you notice any material improvement by taking it? I presume it must be ordered by mail as I have not seen it at any retail vitamin/nutrition shops.

[/quote]

I've used it to.  It's always hard to say if it's the training under Tinman that did the trick, or the Hornet's juice, or some combination of the two. But, it wasn't until I did both was I able to complete a marathon without crashing.

dkggpeters

Post by dkggpeters » Wed May 07, 2014 3:13 pm

dkg--

Great post!

Don't know yet as I need to do more tests to confirm.  It is hard to tell off of one marathon and I didn't test on a long run as I received it just prior to the marathon.  I will do testing on this cycle on some long runs to get a feel.

monica

Post by monica » Wed May 07, 2014 6:40 pm

That's interesting, I looked up this hornet juice thingie. I see it's just a mix of amino acids. I'm not sure I'm buying the idea that the precise ratios matter so much but I can see amino acids in general are good stuff. I do take them after runs, not as hornet's juice, just simply a mix of amino acids in a fluid. I'd been taking them for quite a few months then I stopped for a while. And then I noticed my recovery rate slowed. I reintroduced the amino acids into my routine after my runs after a few weeks and my recovery seemed to get better. I can't say if this is really significant because there could've been other variables at play, one single experiment isn't a real experiment, but still it's a very interesting correlation. My two cents ;)

Edit: I checked my logs and I see now that I did skip on the aminos for another period and it was my worst training period in terms of recovery. (While it definitely wasn't the hardest training.) Reintroduced them, things got better, hmmm... that's now an even stronger correlation. I guess I will be trying it out during races too, nice idea, thanks for mentioning it.
Last edited by monica on Wed May 07, 2014 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monica

Post by monica » Wed May 07, 2014 6:44 pm

[quote="BoilerTom90"]
I've used it to.  It's always hard to say if it's the training under Tinman that did the trick, or the Hornet's juice, or some combination of the two. But, it wasn't until I did both was I able to complete a marathon without crashing.
[/quote]

Maybe your pacing was better too in that marathon without crashing? Sorry maybe this is a really trivial suggestion here but I just have to wonder what the most significant variable was here...

BoilerTom90

Post by BoilerTom90 » Wed May 07, 2014 8:38 pm

[quote="monica"]
[quote="BoilerTom90"]
[/quote]

Maybe your pacing was better too in that marathon without crashing? Sorry maybe this is a really trivial suggestion here but I just have to wonder what the most significant variable was here...
[/quote]

My hunch is the most significant variable is about 2 to 3 solid years of training under Tinman, all all that entails, each year building upon the prior.  I believe the workouts he gave me prepared me well.

dkggpeters

Post by dkggpeters » Thu May 08, 2014 8:34 am

[url=http://My%20hunch%20is%20the%20most%20significant%20variable%20is%20about%202%20to%203%20solid%20years%20of%20training%20under%20Tinman,%20all%20all%20that%20entails,%20each%20year%20building%20upon%20the%20prior. %20I%20believe%20the%20workouts%20he%20gave%20me%20prepared%20me%20well.]My hunch is the most significant variable is about 2 to 3 solid years of training under Tinman, all all that entails, each year building upon the prior.  I believe the workouts he gave me prepared me well.[/url]

Couldn't agree more.

Pacing is important but with the proper training I know that I am not going to crash and burn if I go somewhat aggressive as to pacing.

roadracebc

Re: Hornet Juice

Post by roadracebc » Thu May 08, 2014 7:36 pm

First post as I have a 10 miler this Saturday.  The temperature has climbed from the 40's to low 50's where it has the potential to be in the low 60's at race start and into the 70's by the time I believe I will finish.  I am targeting 7:30-7:45 pace depending on the weather and ran it at 8:13 pace last year.  I have built my mileage up to getting the last 12 weeks average of 49 miles/wk.  I have been coached since last June where he helped me reach a 5K pr of 20:46 last November.  I have run the course in 7:59 pace three weeks ago with ease but the temp was in the 40's and reached 50 when I finished.  I notice that I am temperature sensitive and looking for advice and saw the post for the hornet juice.  If any of you are familiar with the Quarryman Challenge course in Lemont, IL...that is the race I will be looking to have a pr in about 36 hours.  I have enjoyed reading all of your posts and many of you have been an inspiration.  I am very happy with my coaching and could not have achieved my current fitness without him.  I just turned 44 and am 6'4" and weigh about 180lbs.  I ran a 22:47 5k four years ago and never imagined that it would take me this long to knock two minutes off.  I know that I will probably have to up my mileage into the 60 plus range to continue my improvement.  Thanks in advance for your advice.
Bob

dkggpeters

Post by dkggpeters » Fri May 09, 2014 8:35 am

First post as I have a 10 miler this Saturday.  The temperature has climbed from the 40's to low 50's where it has the potential to be in the low 60's at race start and into the 70's by the time I believe I will finish.  I am targeting 7:30-7:45 pace depending on the weather and ran it at 8:13 pace last year.  I have built my mileage up to getting the last 12 weeks average of 49 miles/wk.  I have been coached since last June where he helped me reach a 5K pr of 20:46 last November.  I have run the course in 7:59 pace three weeks ago with ease but the temp was in the 40's and reached 50 when I finished.  I notice that I am temperature sensitive and looking for advice and saw the post for the hornet juice.  If any of you are familiar with the Quarryman Challenge course in Lemont, IL...that is the race I will be looking to have a pr in about 36 hours.  I have enjoyed reading all of your posts and many of you have been an inspiration.  I am very happy with my coaching and could not have achieved my current fitness without him.  I just turned 44 and am 6'4" and weigh about 180lbs.  I ran a 22:47 5k four years ago and never imagined that it would take me this long to knock two minutes off.  I know that I will probably have to up my mileage into the 60 plus range to continue my improvement.  Thanks in advance for your advice.
Bob
The best way to handle the heat is to acclimate to it by running in temps that you may race in (with the winter and spring that we have had this year that is just not possible this early in the year), start slower, and make sure that you drink a lot of fluid on the course for longer races.

My recommendation for you would be to start at the low end of your pace range or maybe a little slower if it is warm out and if your stomach can handle it take in some fluids 10 to 15 minutes before the start of the race.  Make sure you take in fluids in the first water stops as these are the most important ones to hydrate.  Once you get near the end then it is to late.  Pacing is critical in the heat to not start out to fast.

Also wear light colored clothes and a singlet if possible.  If you struggle in the heat then on sections of the course that have shade make sure to run in the shady spots and ignore running tangents.  You can lose a lot more time from the heat then you will from running poor tangents.

Sometimes if it is to warm then you have to bite the bullet and not try and go for a pr and run a smart race for the conditions.

roadracebc

Post by roadracebc » Sat May 10, 2014 1:28 pm

DKG,
Thank you for the advice.  Had good weather of mid 50's with little wind.  1:15:46 which was a 6:21 pr for the race.  I had some left in the tank but the last big hill just after mile marker 7, my pace slowed and it took time to get back on pace.  Overall I am very pleased with the result.  My coach seems to follow a lot of Tinman's training from what I have read on this website.  It definitely pays to have a coach that has your interests in mind, if you can afford it.  Next year the goal will be to break 70 minutes or better.  Thanks again.
Bob