Book For Sale !!!

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

peterb

Re: Book For Sale !!!

Post by peterb » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:21 pm

Tom - Thank you for your openness. Based on Pete's comments on his new website, his aspirations are very clear. Perhaps this will leave the door open to have a "Tinman Training Principle" book published down the road, maybe as an e-book only. I would buy a copy. For those of us who follow your website regularly, no additional explanation necessary. Your reputation and integrity is above all.

nico64

Post by nico64 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:38 am

Hello Tom

I have been following this website for a couple of months and after trying several approaches unsuccessfully, I am now training "the Tinman way" with your sessions (no peak race, run for stamina first with TT, CV a long run every week)

I have bought the kindle version of the book, and I have to report to you that the schedules are truncated in this version: only the monday to wednesday part of the week is actually shown on the kindle, which makes the schedules unusable. I don't know if you can fix that now, but I thought you would be interested to know

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:54 pm

Thank you very much for the information. I sent an email to the editor of our publishing company to let him know about the issue. I will let you know what I find out. Thank you very much for your help! Your help demonstrates that we are a community who care about each other!
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

dkggpeters

Post by dkggpeters » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:59 pm

Tables are a big problem in Kindle.  Just about every book that has tables I have heard this problem occurring.

dilluh

Post by dilluh » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:04 pm

Ditto on Dave's comment. You'll almost never get a good transfer of tables from paper format to Kindle. My experience is that it has nothing to do with the publisher, either.

Captainblood

Post by Captainblood » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:57 pm

The book is excellent.  It delivers on what it promises...how to build your runner's body.  I don't need another book giving me a training program...I have Tinman for that.  In my opinion, building a runner's body is the most important thing a runner can do.  It is a necessary step for success at any level of competition.

My opinion on Magill is that he is a detail oriented runner who does all of the little things to ensure success.  This book answers all of the questions that I would have if I had 10 sit down dinners with Magill.

This is not Tom's baby.  So don't worry about that it doesn't talk about CV workouts, etc.  I believe that Tom will have his time and write a great, groundbreaking book.  But at the moment this website is Tom's living, breathing book that demonstrates the breadth of his knowledge and helps thousands of runners at all levels reach their potential.

dkggpeters

Post by dkggpeters » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:50 am

I spent a lot of time reading the book last week on the plane to and from California last week as well as the weekend before it.  I agree with Captainblood that the book delivers on what it states to deliver.  "Build Your Running Body" covers a lot of aspects which I have not seen covered in other books and goes into detail on the science behind running as well as ancillary exercises which are useful for strengthening or injury prevention. 

I wasn't expecting training schedules as per what we discuss on this board as that was not the purpose of the book.

I do have some questions on items that I find interesting and will post to start a discussion among the group in a different thread some time this week.

dkggpeters

Post by dkggpeters » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:25 pm

This quote came from Boyd Carrington whom was the 50K Masters Champion last year and this year on the runners world forums.  He is also really fast in the shorter distances.  Just ran a 4:36 mile while being injured and has run a sub 2 half as a masters:
Nominal One!!!!!! The Jedi of 5k has published a tome. He is the only person to whom I am a Padawan. I will be reading a running book on the train. If I only post one useful thing in my 7 years on this site it would be get his book. Get in line behind me though. I'm reading past chapter two. Hudson great coach but not really running while writing Pete is in the trenches with us and is the master of 5k to 10k. I want to hear whatever he has to say even if it's "eat grass and **** in fields" like little billy goat gruff.

monica

Post by monica » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:50 pm

I received my book, thank you! 8) Looks nice so far

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:16 pm

I am open to answer questions about Build Your Running Body though the 13th of this month.
Then, I will be busy with medical care for three weeks, maybe four.

Here are the criteria for asking me questions about the book:

(1) Ask one question per post. Please do not cram multiple questions into one question. Thank you.

(2) Before typing, please think about what you want to communicate. A clearly communicated question improves the quality of the associated response/answer.

(3) Make your questions about our book only. I am not interested in debating about comments made by another author, which would require me to spend time and energy reading their book before answering the question. I don't have the time or energy for that.

Thank you!
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

run2thehills

Post by run2thehills » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:51 pm

I have a question related to the section on p225 about HGH release and how to increase HGH levels/anabolic metabolism in order to counteract the catabolic effect of runs. It is suggested to do a short intense resistance training workout (eg Jay Johnson kettlebell routine), or a moderate 30min resistance training session after the run.

In general how long can you wait after the run until you do the resistance training workout if you want to maximize this effect? Would 1 or 2hrs be too much? Also, regarding this general concept, it sounds like it would be better to do strength workouts in the same training block as the run (eg run in the morning followed by strength workout), rather than spacing the two workouts (eg run in the morning and lift in the evening). Am I correct regarding this?

Thank you,

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:59 pm

I have read research articles that show concurrent strength and endurance training can be a negative factor, while other research articles show no negative effects of strength training on endurance fitness. It's my conclusion, based on the timing of the two exercise modes, that it is better to run in the morning and strength train in the evening. I have noted that when researchers observed no negative (conflicting) affects of strength training on endurance fitness that the workouts were done in isolation (separately). Conversely, when there was a negative effect of strength training on endurance fitness and performance, the two exercise modes were done in short or rapid succession.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:29 pm

Remember, friends, it doesn't take much strength training or hard strength training to induce measurable changes in anabolic (growth inducing) hormones. Consider the study shown below!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hormonal Responses after a Strength Endurance Resistance Exercise Protocol in Young and Elderly Males

I. Smilios1 , T. Pilianidis1 , M. Karamouzis2 , A. Parlavantzas1 , S. P. Tokmakidis1

1Department of Physical Education and Sport Science, Democritus University of Thrace, Komotini, Greece
2Department of Medicine, Laboratory of Biological Chemistry, Aristotelian University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece

Abstract

This study examined testosterone, cortisol and growth hormone responses in elderly and young men after a strength endurance protocol. Eight elderly (age: 69 ± 5 yrs) and nine young (age: 23 ± 1 yrs) males with recreational experience in resistance training performed a strength endurance protocol, which included six exercises. At each exercise, the subjects performed 3 sets of 15 reps at 60 % of 1-RM with a 90 s rest interval between sets. The subjects also participated in a control session. Hormonal and blood lactate concentrations were measured before exercise, immediately after exercise and 15 min after the end of exercise. Blood lactate increased (p < 0.05) with resistance exercise in both age groups with the highest increases observed in the young males. Testosterone and cortisol concentrations were higher (p < 0.05) immediately and 15 min after exercise as compared to the respective control session values in both young and elderly subjects, whereas no differences were observed between groups (p > 0.05). Growth hormone concentration increased (p < 0.05) after resistance exercise compared to the control session in both age groups. This increase was higher (p < 0.05) in the young as compared to the elderly group. The above results show that a moderate intensity - high repetition resistance exercise protocol for the improvement of strength endurance, seems to be a sufficient stimulus that increases testosterone, growth hormone and cortisol concentrations in elderly males. These hormonal responses may create an optimal metabolic environment, which improves muscular function after a strength endurance program although the elderly subjects present an attenuated growth hormone response compared to younger ones.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

run2thehills

Post by run2thehills » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:18 pm

thanks for the clarification Tom.

ap4305

Post by ap4305 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:25 am

My review of Build Your Running Body. It is difficult to create an "impact" book these days with how fast information moves and how accessible knowledge has become, but this book is essential for any serious runner's library.

http://www.pikeathletics.com/blog/build ... ook-review