Book For Sale !!!

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

kresimir.karas@gmail.com

Re: Book For Sale !!!

Post by kresimir.karas@gmail.com » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:45 am

I am also dissapointed with book, because i bought it only because of Tom, not Pete, i have many runner's book. His training principles produced very good results for me, so i thought that i can learn more details about CV, TT, and other. But there's no single word about that. I can feel that Tom is not very "happy" with the book. I know that he can't tell us that because of commercial reason.
It's time for Tom to write his own book, don't dissapoint army of Runzone readers!

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:02 pm

When I was asked by Pete to co-author the book, and later he asked Melissa to write the nutrition section, I envisioned a mix of our training ideas. However, it turned out my role, as directed by Pete, was to explain the science behind training (the training concepts he wanted explained) and creating charts to show those concepts clearly. Hence, no CV or tempos the way I have used them for 25 years as a coach. It's not that I did not try to push those concepts, but they were not the vision Pete had. To be succinct, he is not one to deviate from his plan(s). The only thing that I was able to convince him to include, though he greatly resisted my recommendation for a long time, was to define and describe the concept of V.O2 max. He thought nobody would understand it. In summary, we had different ideas, and ultimately he was in charge of what was to be used or not used for the project, since he acquired the agreement with the publisher. I don't have bitter feelings now, though I was frustrated, as we he, while we wrote the book. As a result, I learned a valuable lesson - a lesson that will guide any future project in which I I choose to participate or lead.

Regarding writing my own book, I started that a few years ago, but set my work aside. I decided I could not afford to put my work in print and have nobody sign up for coaching because they have the Tinman "recipe." Perhaps I am missing something, but at this point in my life I can't afford to give away everything. I'd be sunk, and I can't do that to my family. During a period following the 2007 financial crash, I lost my house and became in-debt, let alone the acquired debt of paying for a Master Degree in Business Administration which was unfortunate timing. I don't want to share all the details, but suffice it to say that I can't give up the farm without knowing that my family will survive.

I don't like bringing this up, and it's been something that I've had to bare for a long time now, but I somehow feel this is the time to finally address why I haven't written my own book. There's fear in me that I will let down my family. I have not been successful professionally, mostly because I put a lot of my time and energy in healthcare (radiology) - a profession that unless you are savvy socially you'll get hammered by jealous people who want to make themselves look good by making you look bad; or, at least they don't want others to take away their level of (unearned) respect. Nearly all the people with whom I worked resented anyone who had a lot of education. (Most radiology techs have just an associates degree.)

Even my bosses had less education than I, so there may have been a jealousy issue, particularly when the other staff would ask me for answers and help regarding complex exams, whether in the department, in the Emergency Department, at the Orthopedic Clinic, or in the Surgical suites, especially. It was odd that my cohorts would ask me for answers and help, and then as soon as my back was turned they would tell tall-tales about me. My wife thinks they didn't want to look bad and I was a threat to them somehow. To be honest, I never cared about being recognized. I only cared about helping patients who needed the best possible care. (I was especially motivated to help patients, given that my mom suffered immensely through six years of cancer treatments, countless x-ray exams, and often she was over-radiated by (in my opinion) incompetent radiology techs.

My dad also had problems and needed heart surgery, so I have been affected emotionally and spiritually by my acquaintance with the medical world. Add to that how I nearly died last year from a brain tumor, which my general practitioner doctor luckily identified from my subtle symptoms, I became acutely aware that my family and faith are the most important parts of my life. (I don't mean to say that you, my friends on The Run Zone, are not important; rather, I mean to say that when I came close to dying, and while I recovered in the intensive care unit last August, I recognized how fragile life is, and how much I love my family and faith.

I"ll close by suggesting that I haven't written book also because I also don't know what I can add to the running world at this time. I've read hundreds of running books over the years, and a quick perusal at Barnes & Noble showed me that several running books are on the shelf. At this point, I have no reason to believe that I can make money selling books. Most people who sell books do not make enough to pay for the time they spend writing the book. (I spent about a thousand hours writing the previous book with Pete, and according to sales figures so far I might be lucky to make two thousand dollars. That's about $2 per hour of time spent on the book. I will make about 80 cents per book, sold, by the way, since the agent takes a cut, and I get 25% of what's left over.) Given that I have family, teach, and coach runners, the question becomes is it worth it?

Take care,

Tom

(I may just delete this entire post. I"ll debate it tonight. I may be telling my life story and others may not appreciate the nuances.)
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

BoilerTom90

Post by BoilerTom90 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:45 pm

Thanks for the honesty Tom! It's something that separates you from any other coach, among all your other tremendous qualities.

Blessings and peace to you!

Tom

dilluh

Post by dilluh » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:03 am

Tom, as much as I’d love to have a book written by you as sole author, I 100% agree with your assessment regarding how your energies are best spent while maintaining sanity and financial stability. Book writing is very hard, tedious work that rarely results in reasonable return on investment - even for those who are very good at writing such as yourself. This is particularly true of books written about niche topics such as distance running training. You are such an excellent coach for those of us who have worked with you and I think you go above and beyond by providing information, insight and advice on these forums for free. It’s the beauty and the crux of the internet - once it’s out there, everyone has it and has it for free. But correct interpretation and implementation of your writings takes time, experience and knowledge of self if one wants to go it alone and even then mistakes are often made. If you don’t have the time, experiences or knowledge of self, then coaching can be a way of quickly steering ones training in the right direction. Or if one wants to achieve their best result in a race without having to think about it - that’s a perfectly good reason to get a coach, too. Some people want to run fast and don’t care much about the minutia of what the training means.

I hope people realize this when they come here: all the writings and advice are free but that will never trump 25+ years of coaching experience if you really want to make sure you’re doing it right. That’s not just a plug for Tinman, either. There are a good number of competent coaches out there.

Clell

Post by Clell » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:10 pm

In my opinion, Build Your Running Body, should be required reading for High School Coaches. And certainly should be part of their repertoire. While not a 100% Cover Everything Book For Every Runner, BYRB is a great resource. There probably needs to be a sequel to consolidate and build upon certain aspects of training. However, I agree somewhat with Tom also about the benefits for him and his family versus the effort and time involved. In the mean time, we can recommend it to others every chance we get.