Insertional Achilles Tendinitis - Help Please

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

Run4ms

Insertional Achilles Tendinitis - Help Please

Post by Run4ms » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:11 pm

I am and have been struggling with getting rid of this insertional achilles tendinitis for some time now. I even took breaks from running, but to no avail of 100%
The odd thing is that that are days when I run and it feels totally fine and I don't really notice it. I notice it in the morning, night, and if I am sitting for a period of time.

How in the heck do I get rid of this.  I have been doing eccentric calf raises but maybe not enough.

Help please?!!

monica

Re: Insertional Achilles Tendinitis - Help Please

Post by monica » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:13 am

I'm asking just in case: did this start after switching to some new kind of shoes? for me it was a shoe issue a long time ago. I noticed it was shoe related because in the older shoes I didn't have the problem.

Run4ms

Post by Run4ms » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:41 am

I can not fully determine whether it was doing too much hills or from wearing more and more of low profile shoes.
So what do you think will will rid me of this mess?

It seems like it's insertional but I can also tell that my left tendon is thicker than my right. 

Captainblood

Post by Captainblood » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:39 am

Hills definitively stress the achilles.  Ice, aspirin, and toe raises only if you can do them without pain.  I also found that my calves were excessively tight and after exploring found big knots in both of them.  I used the stick every day and got rid of them.  It can also help if you run with a shoe with a higher heel to help minimize the foot extension.

I had light pain and nipped it in the bud.  Now I do heel drops/toe raises every day and use the stick on my calves.

monica

Post by monica » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:21 pm

[quote="Run4ms"]
I can not fully determine whether it was doing too much hills or from wearing more and more of low profile shoes.
So what do you think will will rid me of this mess?

It seems like it's insertional but I can also tell that my left tendon is thicker than my right.
[/quote]

If you're no longer doing hills then I would say try wearing normal shoes again and see if that helps.

Run4ms

Post by Run4ms » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:11 pm

I've been wearing my normal shoes but still wear my lower profile shoes for speed. Should I cut that out too?

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:29 pm

Run4ms -

I recommend that you run slowly until you resolve the problem. Furthermore, stay in your "normal" shoes, rather than switch to low profile s shoes.

Now, do an analysis of your running mechanics, or have someone film you and send it to me; I will analyze for you. I'll need a side view from both sides and  front and back view of you running. I advise you to do this twice for each profile, so 8 totals runs. Do the filming on a track. Find a friend or family member who has a steady hand.

Tinman

runfastcoach@gmail.com
(www.runningprs.com)
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Run4ms

Post by Run4ms » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:33 pm

[quote="Tinman"]
Run4ms -

I recommend that you run slowly until you resolve the problem. Furthermore, stay in your "normal" shoes, rather than switch to low profile s shoes.

Now, do an analysis of your running mechanics, or have someone film you and send it to me; I will analyze for you. I'll need a side view from both sides and  front and back view of you running. I advise you to do this twice for each profile, so 8 totals runs. Do the filming on a track. Find a friend or family member who has a steady hand.

Tinman

runfastcoach@gmail.com
(www.runningprs.com)
[/quote]

Tinman -
You think that it could partially be due to muscle imbalances?

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:59 pm

Run4ms -

Once I see your running video, I'll know. Otherwise it would be pure speculation on my part.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

monica

Post by monica » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:55 am

[quote="Run4ms"]
I've been wearing my normal shoes but still wear my lower profile shoes for speed. Should I cut that out too?
[/quote]

yeah entirely forget low profile shoes for a while + speed is no good for achilles but Tinman already told you everything you need :)

dkggpeters

Post by dkggpeters » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:04 pm

I have insertional tendonitis according to my PT.  I thought it was bursitis but he claims the IT is inflamming the bursa.  I have had this for the last couple of years and it has not gotten worse for me allowing me to continue running.  Some days I can hardly walk in the morning or after sitting for a bit, and other days it is just fine.

I was given the foot and ankle routine from Wharton to use.  Just google it and you will see 2 youtube videos.  I was also told to do eccentric calve raises on flat ground lowering extremely slowly (15 or 20 seconds).  He stated that my tendon was thin down there and this would thicken them up.

For shoes, I can wear low drop shoes but really like shoes that have no support in the heel area.  GoRun 2's are working really well for my quality sessions.  On my easy days I am also using a shoe with a higher lift which seems to be helping.

After about a half mile into the run everything feels great and there is no mobility or pain issues once I am warmed up.  This is the reason why I continue to still train hard and am trying to resolve it while training or even if it stays as is I can live with that, although I would prefer to resolve it.

Run4ms

Post by Run4ms » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:03 pm

Dkggpeters: was there anything your PT prescribed for a warmup before you run andthe same for after your run?

dkggpeters

Post by dkggpeters » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:09 am

[quote="Run4ms"]
Dkggpeters: was there anything your PT prescribed for a warmup before you run andthe same for after your run?
[/quote]

I wasn't given any warmup routines to do.  I am using the stick and getting down low into the achilles and heel area which is helping out a lot.  I started using the stick on the heal area which I have not done before and I am actually able to walk almost normally this week and I had no problems with my morning runs the last couple of mornings.

Run4ms

Post by Run4ms » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:24 am

I wasn't given any warmup routines to do.  I am using the stick and getting down low into the achilles and heel area which is helping out a lot.  I started using the stick on the heal area which I have not done before and I am actually able to walk almost normally this week and I had no problems with my morning runs the last couple of mornings.

Great advice - I already have the stick and will incorporate that ..do you ice afterwards?
Last edited by Run4ms on Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

dkggpeters

Post by dkggpeters » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:45 am

Run4ms wrote:

Great advice - I already have the stick and will incorporate that ..do you ice afterwards?
I haven't used ice in a long time.  There are times where I thought about filling a bucket with water and ice and dipping my feet in them.  You should try it and see if it helps.