Insertional Achilles Tendinitis - Help Please

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

runthe8

Re: Insertional Achilles Tendinitis - Help Please

Post by runthe8 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:13 pm

I have this problem too.  I use a golf ball on it- I just hold it in my hand and roll it around on the whole back of the heel area.  It does seem to help.  I also do the eccentric heel drops and work on my calves too with the stick, a lacrosse ball, etc.  I don't understand why I have this- my calves are not tight (but they are lumpy at times) and I have good ankle mobility.  I swear, the older I get, the more time it takes to keep myself able to run at all.  SOOOOO frustrating.  If I had a spare few thousand bucks lying around I think I'd buy an elliptigo and cross train half the time.  I have also thought about getting a kickbike (anyone tried this?) 

kevinm

Post by kevinm » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:17 am

runthe8,

I'm experimenting with the ElliptiGo right now. Tom is integrating it into my workouts, and we'll see what kind of results I get. I had meniscus surgery in May, so I decided to lower my mileage for a while, and integrate it into my workouts, especially while my body takes time to adjust. I've really enjoyed riding it. Its definitely not as taxing as running, but I do get a pretty good workout riding it.  I'm not sure what I'll do in the winter though. I hate the thought of riding it in the garage!!

Kevin

Run4ms

Post by Run4ms » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:25 pm

[quote="runthe8"]
I have this problem too.  I use a golf ball on it- I just hold it in my hand and roll it around on the whole back of the heel area.  It does seem to help.  I also do the eccentric heel drops and work on my calves too with the stick, a lacrosse ball, etc.  I don't understand why I have this- my calves are not tight (but they are lumpy at times) and I have good ankle mobility.  I swear, the older I get, the more time it takes to keep myself able to run at all.  SOOOOO frustrating.  If I had a spare few thousand bucks lying around I think I'd buy an elliptigo and cross train half the time.  I have also thought about getting a kickbike (anyone tried this?) 

[/quote]

The golf ball on the back of the heel...does this hurt? Mine is fairly sensitive in one specific area. This is very frustrating as well.

dkggpeters

Post by dkggpeters » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:57 pm

Try just rubbing it with your thumb to start with.

runthe8

Post by runthe8 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:19 pm

Run4MS- Start with massaging the area with your thumb or fingers, or even the edge of the bottom of a vitamin bottle.  I just find the golf ball gets in there a little bit better and also I can move it around pretty well (takes a little practice).  It does hurt.  YOu also asked about warming up, I think.  I find that walking fast for 5-10 minutes really helps my achilles and the rest of my hurting body feel better on the run. 

Kevin, I look forward to a report on the elliptigo training.  I would really like one of these.  I think my husband who can't run anymore would love it too ( it just kills him to see Drew, Noah, and me able to get out the door when he can't anymore).  He'd be able to go out with Drew some of his runs that way.  He rides a bike with him sometimes but it would just be more like running.

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:23 am

Eccentric heel drops got me out of my Achilles problems a couple of years ago. I did them religiously a few times a day and within 10 days my problems were cleared up. I also used a stick, foam rolling and stayed in the pool for workouts.  And massage. My go-to treatment for anything muscle/tendon related is massage now, seems to work really well for me.

I seem to have tight calf muscles a lot, but have been doing more calf stretching and mobility exercises and these have helped a lot.  Lowering my mileage also helps.  I'm seriously thinking about integrating more pool workouts or elliptical workouts into my schedule, especially on recovery days.  I tend to be a slave to the weekly mileage tally, like a lot of us, but as I get older and a little wiser I take a day off when my body says to.  If I can't walk downstairs for my morning coffee on account of sore legs then I (sometimes) take the day off or get in the pool.

I'm also a big believer in gym work, especially for masters athletes.  Ever since I grew an ass (i.e. strengthened my glutes) I tend to have fewer lower leg problems and my form is better and I seem to recover better from workouts.  Posterior chain work and core work with a little bit of upper body strengthening can't hurt any runner.

Run4ms

Post by Run4ms » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:30 pm

I've started to incorporate more of an overall strength leg routine (from Tinman's book) and I am hoping that will assist in my recovery from this Achilles crap!  I'm trying to really nail 2 sets of 3 x 15 of eccentric raises + using the stick, self massage, and stretching.

Barney

Post by Barney » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:17 am

At age 45, I am now a believer in cross training (cycling) to help with the muscle imbalances.  About 1 year ago, I suffered from achilles issues and while some of the pain was remedied by eccentric heel drops and an insert in my shoes, I am not sure if they were the "cure all."  I wear Nike shoes and it seems as though over the years, the heel tab of the shoe got higher and higher.  Apparently, my right achilles was aggravated by the heel tab slightly bumping into it repeatedly.  I snipped off about .75 inches and I now longer have an issue.  As a precaution, I do this with all of my shoes.

Barney     

Run4ms

Post by Run4ms » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:06 pm

Barney,

What do you mean by the heel tab?

Barney

Post by Barney » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:17 pm

The rear of the shoe that holds your heel and is located near the achilles.

Run4ms

Post by Run4ms » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:14 pm

How did you cut that out? Did you end up switching shoes?

Barney

Post by Barney » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:57 pm

I simply trimmed that small portion off with some scissors.