Testosterone Therapy

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

Barney

Testosterone Therapy

Post by Barney » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:03 pm

For the past few years, I have had my testosterone levels check.  Each time, I have been at the low end of normal (280-1070 ng/dL being normal).  My level was 306.  My doctor didn't want to treat; however, the clinics that have seemingly popped up everywhere will treat me at my current level.  My symptoms aren't horrible.  I think many of us suffer from many of the common symptoms of low testosterone (i.e. low energy, poor sleep, etc.), especially us runners.  I was wondering if anyone has had experiences (good or bad) with testosterone therapy.

Thanks,

Barney

Tchuck

Re: Testosterone Therapy

Post by Tchuck » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:14 am

My brother and wife went to one of those. Doc said free testosterone levels are more important. He put him on compounded testosterone cream which he claims is completely safe and has health benefits if levels are low. After 5 months on it, his free levels went up big time.
Those who try, fail! Those who do what it takes to succeed, will SUCCEED!

dkggpeters

Post by dkggpeters » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:22 am

If it was me, I would explore if testosterone levels were the root cause of low energy, poor sleep, etc.... before I decided to get treatment.  Other factors such as a heavy training load, stress at work or home, etc will cause these symptoms to occur.

Your levels are in the accepted range and I would just be careful about treating it knowing that my running may improve due to something that isn't fair and ethical.  If you are really low then the decision would be easier.  Even if mine was really low, I would try alternative methods outside of medication before going that route.  I just want to know that my performances are due to my hard work and not from a pill.  That is just me.

qrkid

Post by qrkid » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:45 am

and strictly from a running POV it would be illegal and you would be sanctioned if tested.
I understand that we are not talking about winning major international races or making a living from running, but if you do plan to run any sanctioned races it would be considered cheating. You could apply for a TUE but with levels of 300+ I would say it is 99.9% chance that you would not be awarded a TUE.
If you seek treatment b/c it makes you feel better in every day life and you are able to continue to run and enjoy yourself  then knock yourself out. If you plan on competing just know that it would be frowned upon.

dkggpeters

Post by dkggpeters » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:54 am

qrkid,  my reason for exploring other options.  My goal is to become top 5 Grand Masters in the Marathon and I wouldn't want my hard work go to waste.

qrkid

Post by qrkid » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:01 am

dkggpeters.

I am with you. Besides the negative health effects exogenous test might have. There has not been enough time to really tell what it does. Always interesting that all the time you are young they warn of the dangers of using steroids, but suddenly father time catches up a little and there are no longer dangers only wonderful benefits.

I am looking forward to seeing your next marathon. After a good length of time with Tinman I think you are going to go pretty damn fast. Do you have any plans in place for your next one?

dkggpeters

Post by dkggpeters » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:08 am

qrkid,

I am targeting 2:42 to 2:43 at Akron on 9/27 this year.  It is a tougher course and I am making sure that I target smaller incremental changes in order to not over extend in training and stay healthy.  My main goal is to go sub 2:40 and I would like to probably go sub 2:38 at some point (I would really like to go sub 6:00 pace).

dkggpeters

Post by dkggpeters » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:09 am

I also wonder about what Salazar is doing with some of his runners with thyroid medication.  Just because you are on the low end doesn't mean you have a problem.  I believe that he is pushing the boundaries even though it is considered legal at this point in time.

dilluh

Post by dilluh » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:21 am

[quote="dkggpeters"]
qrkid,

I am targeting 2:42 to 2:43 at Akron on 9/27 this year.  It is a tougher course and I am making sure that I target smaller incremental changes in order to not over extend in training and stay healthy.  My main goal is to go sub 2:40 and I would like to probably go sub 2:38 at some point (I would really like to go sub 6:00 pace).
[/quote]

dkggpeters, you are a beast (in the best possible way)! I can't fathom sub-6 pace for the marathon, let alone doing it ~20 years from now.

Also, regarding Salazar/thyroid: I've heard (correct me if I'm wrong) that once an athlete decides to take thyroid medication to regulate levels for several years that it can be difficult (or a risk to one's health) to go off of those same meds later on in life once competition is over. If true, Rupp has made a decision that will literally be with him for life. Also, I'm not sure if the long term effects of thyroid regulation are well understood.

Gabe1

Post by Gabe1 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:53 am

[quote="dkggpeters"]
qrkid,

[/quote]

Dkggpeters, how many hours per week will you run maximum before this marathon on the Tinman program?

dkggpeters

Post by dkggpeters » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:57 am

[quote="Gabe1"]
[quote="dkggpeters"]
qrkid,

[/quote]

Dkggpeters, how many hours per week will you run maximum before this marathon on the Tinman program?
[/quote]

Probably 12 or 13 hours.  I have been just under 11 hours over the last month.

Gabe1

Post by Gabe1 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:02 pm

[quote="dkggpeters"]
[quote="Gabe1"]
[quote="dkggpeters"]
qrkid,

[/quote]

[/quote]

Probably 12 or 13 hours.  I have been just under 11 hours over the last month.
[/quote]

Ok, I see. Thanks. So around 80-90 miles per week then? And when you started with Tinman, how many hours per week did you run?

dkggpeters

Post by dkggpeters » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:08 pm

[quote="Gabe1"]
Ok, I see. Thanks. So around 80-90 miles per week then? And when you started with Tinman, how many hours per week did you run?
[/quote]

11 hours was just over 90 miles.  12 hours will put me around 100 per week.

I was doing even more mileage before hiring Tinman.  My highest mileage per week is about the same but the average over a training cycle is less.  I seem to be good around 85 to 95 MPW and start to notice things when I get 2 or 3 weeks over 100.  Last cycle I did a 100+ mile week off of all singles where in the past I did a lot more doubles.  I very rarely double now.  I only did a couple last cycle and one so far this cycle.  They were not part of the training plan though.

Gabe1

Post by Gabe1 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:19 pm

Ok, thanks for the info. It's interesting to know. Tom only lets me run 7 hours per week at most now, although I have the motivation to run far far more :) But I guess you should dig where you stand and look at the long term. If I can work my way up to 11-12 hours/per week, I can see myself running a pretty decent marathon too... But it will take quite a few years to get there, I realize.

Gabe1

Post by Gabe1 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:22 pm

Sorry for the OT, by the way.