Too hilly to recover!

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

wysiwyg

Too hilly to recover!

Post by wysiwyg » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:22 pm

Hi All

I've recently moved to the top of a hill, drops 1000ft in between 2-3 miles in every direction.
My problem is I've got constant heavy legs and workouts are suffering, I have been at it 3 months and am a very experienced runner so really don't want to drive to the bottom of the hill on easy days....anybody any tips or ideas?
Should I swallow my pride and drive to the bottom of the hill on easy days or suck it up and hope it becomes easier!

Joggernaut

Re: Too hilly to recover!

Post by Joggernaut » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:05 pm

Running downhill is easy on the aerobic system but can be hell on the legs because of the eccentric loading. Thus, it's tough to consider any run with a 1,000-foot descent in it as true "recovery." If you've been there for three months and things haven't improved, it might be worth getting a treadmill.

Conversely, you could just coast a bike down the hill for a flatter run/jog course. Lock the bike (ideally a cheapie you're not worried about) and away you go. Then, after the run, ride back up to your house as easily as the bike's gearing will allow (mountain bikes are geared to climb walls!). I've had runners do this in the past and with great success. In fact, experience taught me that such a ride ride only showed itself to augment their recovery.

Lastly, driving down ain't no big thing if you're serious about your running. I know it only subtracts time from your day, but it's worth not running down any major hills when you're trying to recover.

Clell

Post by Clell » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:56 pm

A 1,000 foot drop is tremendous for a recovery run.  Drive down. IMHO.

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:16 pm

Buy a treadmill and run your easy days on it.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

wysiwyg

Post by wysiwyg » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:19 pm

Thanks for both your replies

I'd not thought about cycling down....definitely, that might be easier for my brain to accept, feel like a bit of a wet lettuce driving down the hill but cycling hmmmm. I'd never considered the downhill to be the problem, I thought it was the steep incline basically been a muscular endurance workout causing me the fatigue. However I've never gone up the hill without going down first so maybe you're on to something. Before I posted this I googled suggestions and there was somebody who asked Arthur lydiard something similar and he laughed/scoffed at the idea of driving down the hill.
Also it doesn't get any hillier than Kenya and they do okay.im a long way from a Kenyan so good to have both your opinions...and "green light" that maybe I should just swallow my pride!

wysiwyg

Post by wysiwyg » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:24 pm

Thanks Tinman

Sounds like a resounding no to this hill....definitely not being a wimp by driving somewhere flat or getting on the treadmill.
I'm a member of a gym so that is an option, not attractive in that I've always really loved using my running as transport but perhaps I need to choose is it transport or is it training now.

Thanks all