Digestive Aids to Speed Metabolism

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

cav1979

Digestive Aids to Speed Metabolism

Post by cav1979 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:20 am

Not sure if anyone has seen the today's Wall Street Journal article on Meb, but it talks a bit about his training and daily routine. It mentions that after a workout he takes a "digestive aid-commonly used among elite runner-to speed his metabolism and help him lose the 7 pounds he wants to drop before New York."

Any thoughts on this? For anyone that targets a specific weight for the marathon I'd be curious to hear about how you go about getting down to your target weight.

I find I have an insatiable appetite when training and the way I get down to racing weight is through higher mileage and eating healthier. I still eat a ton, but I cut out a lot of the junk. But it makes me wonder if you can over-eat even when eating healthy.

Keith

Re: Digestive Aids to Speed Metabolism

Post by Keith » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:39 am

I read the article in the WSJ, and, like you, was curious. I have never heard that before. Ultimate Digestive Enzymes, by Natural Goal seems to be the highest rated out there. I thought I'd try it. If it works, fine. If it's junk, I only wasted 25 dollars. I don't take any supplements. I believe most of them are a waste of money and a scam. But, if it is something Meb does before a race, it got my attention.

cav1979

Post by cav1979 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:34 pm

I was wondering if anyone else read the article. It's funny that you mention that supplement. I checked it on Amazon and realized it is almost identical to something that I already take. It's the NOW brand version. My naturopath recommended I take it with each meal to help digestion. It's more to make sure I am absorbing nutrients better. I didn't realize it might also speed up metabolism.

Tchuck

Post by Tchuck » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:08 pm

Two things.

1. With the conservative diet Meb post on WSJ (I could lose lbs. with that running 25 miles a week) and all the miles he runs, how can he possibly be eating more than he is burning off and need to lose 7 lbs????

2. I have never seen research on digestive aids or enzymes for weight loss and I do a lot of research.  I do feel that many Americans have undigested gook in their intestines that add bulk/weight to body. I am not sure those reading this site are in that class of people.
Those who try, fail! Those who do what it takes to succeed, will SUCCEED!