Ultra Marathon Fueling Advice

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

Run4ms

Ultra Marathon Fueling Advice

Post by Run4ms » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:42 am

Hey Gang.

I have my first 50 miler in 12 days and I am needing some advice for fueling for the event!
I know it is fairly last minute, but I will take anything you guys have from your reading or personal experience.

Thanks!!

BoilerTom90

Re: Ultra Marathon Fueling Advice

Post by BoilerTom90 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:46 am

Have you tried Hornet Juice?
http://www.hornetjuice.com/

Run4ms

Post by Run4ms » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:55 am

[quote="BoilerTom90"]
Have you tried Hornet Juice?
http://www.hornetjuice.com/
[/quote]

Not yet - I do not know enough about it - didn't know if it was just a bunch of bs...to be frank.  But, obviously you recommend it, so if I order it what are it's positives?

BoilerTom90

Post by BoilerTom90 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:23 pm

Myself and others have used it in marathons and have had success with it in terms of setting lifetime marathon PRs.  My experience is I never bonked/crashed in the race, unlike the races I attempted without the HJ. Of course, Tinman's training probably was the primary factor in that.

I think your problem is going to be getting it delivered within 12 days. If I recall, it ships from New Zealand, and takes a while. Plus, you would have wanted to experiment with it during a reasonable long run prior to your race.

I've never ran more than a marathon, but I presume the fueling strategy isn't all that different in a 50. Take your fuel before you think you need it. For me, that means consuming something every 30 minutes. But, perhaps some ultra people will chime in on fueling strategy.

Run4ms

Post by Run4ms » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:29 pm

Thanks BoilerTom90 !

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:35 am

And monitor your electrolyte needs too, which become a bigger and bigger factor after 2 hours of running.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Schebo

Post by Schebo » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:58 am

You will be on your feet for a long time, so you will probably need to eat something during the race. I ran my first ultra last year and after a bit of experimenting I found out that bananas worked best for me. If you can squeeze in a last long run you could try that.

Run4ms

Post by Run4ms » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:02 pm

i tried ordering the hornets juice but i could not find a number to call or my "shopping cart"...any help?

BoilerTom90

Post by BoilerTom90 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:34 pm

[quote="Run4ms"]
i tried ordering the hornets juice but i could not find a number to call or my "shopping cart"...any help?
[/quote]

Hmm, I've never had an issue finding the site/links to buy it.  here's the link I used:

http://www.hornetjuice.com/buy-paypal/

Tom

qrkid

Post by qrkid » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:16 pm

I just ordered some and had no problem getting in to go through.

If you buy the 30 serving option you can use the code SMASHPR to get $15 off.

Run4ms

Post by Run4ms » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:53 am

sweet!

do any of you have any stomach issues while taking this?

BoilerTom90

Post by BoilerTom90 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:36 pm

[quote="Run4ms"]
sweet!

do any of you have any stomach issues while taking this?
[/quote]

It's never been an issue for me. Fwiw, I can't handle drinking gatorade during races.

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:03 pm

As recommended by me before on this site, eat a banana before drinking your first Hornet's Juice; this is pre-run - about 15-30 minutes beforehand. I don't recommend drinking coffee with hornet's juice, since both are stimulants. Hornet's juice will reduce your need for consuming carbohydrate calories. I don't think eating gels while racing and taking hornet's juice are necessary through about 3 hours of running. After 3 hours, a gel each hour is good, I think. However, you really have to pay close attention to your stomach's feelings of discomfort. Some people can handle less carbohydrate than others. The faster you run, the less your gut can handle. I normally recommending drinking sports drinks while racing, in conjunction with water and hornet's juice. I believe the electrolytes in sports drinks help reduce cramping. Furthermore, I believe consuming electrolytes, per the manufacturer's recommendations, during a race are helpful in preventing muscle cramps and muscle fatigue. ;)

Regards,

Tinman
Thomas Schwartz
www.runningprs.com
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

dkggpeters

Post by dkggpeters » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:34 pm

I used the hornet juice for my long session this morning after drinking coffee and I actually felt great and having after coffee didn't have any negative effects on me.  In fact, i ended up having a really good run and did a wave run for 19 miles and still felt extremely strong at the end even though I took in no fluids (45 to 50 degrees out so usually I don't need fluids on training runs in these temps) or calories during the run.  I take the hornet juice about 30 minutes before the session and make sure I take with a banana.

Run4ms

Post by Run4ms » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:17 pm

Great input guys. Unfortunately I was unable to buy any before this weekend.  I will have to buy some and give it a try in the future.