Marathon Training Help

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

runninggirl97219

Marathon Training Help

Post by runninggirl97219 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:00 am

Hi all,

I am running the CIM Marathon on Dec. 7. ( 9 days out) I have been following the Hansons Training method loosely for the most of my training. A lot of my quality workouts have been at marathon pace or 10 sec faster than marathon pace for the last several weeks. I feel this has left me with lack of speed in my legs. I feel like I am stuck at a marathon pace effort and lack the speed to go faster if that makes sense. I am feeling at this point I may crash and burn in the marathon. Is it normal to feel this way so close to the marathon? I am also looking for advice on what workouts to do the last week leading up to the marathon to try and regain some sharpness in my legs if that is possible to do at this point? I am thinking I will do 12-13 miles slow for my last long run before the marathon and a quality workout during the week of 6 x 400. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time.

Becky

qrkid

Re: Marathon Training Help

Post by qrkid » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:17 am

Becky

I hear what you are saying but I have to ask why you feel you need to be able to go faster than MP when you are running a marathon? I think during your build you could have used some CV pace stuff, but 1 week out I am thinking you stick with what you have been doing and you can change things a little next go around.
Good luck next weekend.

runninggirl97219

Post by runninggirl97219 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:26 am

Hi qrkid,

I guess I don't feel the need to go faster than marathon pace but feel like I have lost sharpness, speed and power. I did some 10k stuff at the beginning of the training cycle. I guess with my experience in the marathon a lack of sharpness has equalled a not so good marathon at least for me. I guess I will see how next weekend goes and revise things from there. Thanks for your reply.

Becky

dilluh

Post by dilluh » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:03 pm

I'd agree that you probably shouldn't change things up much at this point with so little time left. Next time you might consider doing some easy 5k-effort fartleks or short hill sprints at faster than 5k pace but only 50m or so (these were really good for me) during a normal easy distance day a few times per week throughout the entire buildup. That should be enough to keep extension, turnover and drive in your stride.

Schebo

Post by Schebo » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:51 am

I can assure you that "lack of speed" won´t be a limiting factor for non-elite marathoners. I have heard this countless times. They feel the need to "sharpen" with fast intervals the last few weeks before the marathon. Then the marathon pace feels very easy for the first part of the race, but then the weels begin to fall off and afterwards they don´t understand why.