To Piggyback Training VS Races Thread

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

qrkid

To Piggyback Training VS Races Thread

Post by qrkid » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:46 pm

I was reading the training VS races thread and it got me thinking.

I have pretty much been out of running (or anything else for that matter) for around 11 months. Some friends convinced me to sign up for a half marathon in mid March. I have actually now run 44 consecutive days starting with 10min run on a treadmill to doing and 8 miler and 31mi for the week ending yesterday.
I am trying to do a little planning for moving forward and there is a local 10k on Jan 4th. I thought I would run that to try and get an idea of where I stand. By the time the 10k happens I will have had 10-11wks of running and will still have 10 weeks before the half marathon. I thought I could get a gauge of my level and then incorporate some quality stuff in the final 10 weeks based off the time I do in the 10k. In these first 6 weeks it has been just simple slow running. I might try and put in some pick ups of like 8 x 15sec hard 45sec easy between now and January.
I have not raced since March 2012 when I did a half marathon (I did do a half ironman in June 2013 but running the HM at the end of that is not the same as a straight running race). I have obviously not done any workouts of any sort since beginning of January. I am concerned that I will not get a really "accurate" 10k if I just show up and do it because it will have been so long since I last raced or even did a hard workout. I saw in the Training VS races thread that Tinman suggested a workout of 3 x 1mi at 5k RP with 2-3min jog as a race substitute for people who do not race often.
What do people think if I do that workout about 10 days before the 10k to reacquaint my body and mind with what hard running is about. Any thought or opinions on the best approach or what you might do in a similar situation?

Thanks