Getting in decent shape fast.

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

Schebo

Getting in decent shape fast.

Post by Schebo » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:33 am

My problem is that the road racing season starts in mid March and right now I´m in a misarable shape. I only trained sporadically from late September to early January because of injuries and illness. I know that I won´t be in the best possible shape, but I still want to be able to run regular 10 km races at a decent level. A "normal" program with a gradual increase in mileage, long runs and regular workouts won´t do, because then I won´t be in any real shape before the summer, and then the season is pretty much over.

If this had been 20 years ago, it would have been a lot easier: low mileage and as many tempo runs and fartlek workouts as possible every week, but now I´m 47 years old, injury prone and my rate of recovery is slow.

Any ideas how I might go ahead with my training?

dkggpeters

Re: Getting in decent shape fast.

Post by dkggpeters » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:16 am

Hire Tinman to coach you or write up a plan. Having said that, you really can't expect miracles in a short period of time. I know for myself, last year at this time I was having a hard time running 8:30 miles and ran the marathon in Boston in 2:44 so over a few months I regained my fitness. I came off of a hamstring injury and was severely out of shape.

If you try and come back by yourself, it is extremely tricky trying to ramp mileage and incorporate quality at the same time without getting injured and/or over trained.

BoilerTom90

Post by BoilerTom90 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:47 am

If you're looking to get in shape quick, what ever "in shape" or "quick" means, I wouldn't hire any coach. You'll just be disappointed in the results.

However, if you want a sensible approach, that has a better chance of success, then by all means, hire Tinman. Other coaches or plans might not factor in the pertinent factors such as your age and your injury proneness like Tinman does.

Schebo

Post by Schebo » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:24 pm

Like I said in my post, were talking about 9 weeks. I´m not expecting miracles. The reason why I run shorter road races these days is that it´s fun. I get a chance to meet the old guys that I raced in my prime and run against them and see who has slowed down the least (and most) since last year.
Last year I was able to run 10 km in 39 minutes off minimal training and I was hoping to run just a little faster this year with a slightly more serious training approach.

dkggpeters

Post by dkggpeters » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:30 am

If you are in miserable shape then easy running with maybe some strides is in order for a month or so then introduce some quality in lower doses.

monica

Post by monica » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:02 am

Schebo wrote:Like I said in my post, were talking about 9 weeks. I´m not expecting miracles. The reason why I run shorter road races these days is that it´s fun. I get a chance to meet the old guys that I raced in my prime and run against them and see who has slowed down the least (and most) since last year.
Last year I was able to run 10 km in 39 minutes off minimal training and I was hoping to run just a little faster this year with a slightly more serious training approach.
I dont know if this is individual but for me to get into a decent shape from a miserable start point the following works: build up to about 80% of usual mileage in a couple of weeks, by running fewer days and shorter distances than usual and have quite a lot of moderate pace (faster than aerobic threshold all the way up to MP) in this limited mileage*. Doing that for a month after the initial couple of weeks of build up works sweet for me to get back in shape to a point where I'm ready to go harder, which would be another month of training with some speedwork or whatever is needed for racing (volume of speedwork and overall mileage is maybe not at 100% but close enough). Then by the end of that 2nd month ready to race pretty well and all that. So about 2 weeks build up + 4 weeks at 80% + 3-4 weeks of speed work total

*: In my case that means 4 days a week of which 3 days are moderate paces and each moderate run is less than 1 hour of running with warmup (except for a longer one that's a combo of easy+moderate). That's me, you may be able to handle more than that or less than that. Plain easy running with strides does not work for me to get in shape. Again, this is me...not you. You know yourself best :)