Short Speed / Strides After a Time Trial??

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

Josh_1

Short Speed / Strides After a Time Trial??

Post by Josh_1 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:50 am

Should a runner incorporate any short speed or strides following a 2400m time trial? I have not seen to much on this, but I would assume that, similar to a race, this might not be the right thing to do because of risk of injury.

Thoughts?

dilluh

Re: Short Speed / Strides After a Time Trial??

Post by dilluh » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:30 pm

Just one data point but I am typically hesitant to run strides after a time trial. I think the time is better spent just doing a decent cool-down run. If I really feel like I want to get more out of the day, I have on occasion done a post-time trial progression run up to about easy tempo pace and then stay at easy tempo pace for maybe 10 min. I didn't notice any ill effects (didn't really feel like I gained much from it either, though). Even that though I would caution on being careful and just listen to your body. More often than anything I typically find very easy long cool downs (4+ miles) after a time trial to be fantastic for recovery/turnaround.

Texjd

Post by Texjd » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:25 pm

Josh_1 wrote:Should a runner incorporate any short speed or strides following a 2400m time trial? I have not seen to much on this, but I would assume that, similar to a race, this might not be the right thing to do because of risk of injury.

Thoughts?
Josh, I'm curious what others might say about this, but I have always done a few miles of cool down and nothing particularly fast after a race. If I had enough energy to do a short speed workout immediately after a 5k or 10k, I'd think I hadn't given a 100% effort during the race. That's just me.

dilluh

Post by dilluh » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:19 pm

Texjd wrote:
Josh_1 wrote:Should a runner incorporate any short speed or strides following a 2400m time trial? I have not seen to much on this, but I would assume that, similar to a race, this might not be the right thing to do because of risk of injury.

Thoughts?
Josh, I'm curious what others might say about this, but I have always done a few miles of cool down and nothing particularly fast after a race. If I had enough energy to do a short speed workout immediately after a 5k or 10k, I'd think I hadn't given a 100% effort during the race. That's just me.
This is true, but I differentiate a time trial from a race. A race is 100% effort. A time trial is 98-99% effort. To me there is a difference. I also never do any extra workouts after a race.

Texjd

Post by Texjd » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:24 pm

This is true, but I differentiate a time trial from a race. A race is 100% effort. A time trial is 98-99% effort. To me there is a difference. I also never do any extra workouts after a race.[/quote]

Dilluh - I'd agree with your point. I was looking at it as a 100% effort and not a time trial. Very much agree the same effort is not present during a time trial as compared to a race.

Josh_1

Post by Josh_1 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:53 am

I ran a 2400m time trial on the track this morning by myself, in the cold and the dark :-)

After the time trial, I ran 35 minutes at a progressive pace, and was probably around 75-85 seconds slower than current 5k pace by the end of that run. The start of that 35 minutes was probably 8:30 pace or even slower, but it sped up after only 7 or 8 minutes. I put in 10 total miles for the day with a 2 mile warm-up, striders, some CV work, then ran 8:15 for the 2400m and was pleased. My goal is to run in the high 17's in about a month. My next most recent race time was 18:16 for a hilly 5k five weeks ago. I would say that this was an improvement! I haven't ran "all-out" for anything shorter than a 5k in about three years, so it was tough to know what pace to run.

I went:

1:21, 1:24, 1:25, 1:21, 1:24, 1:20, or 4:10 for the first half and 4:05 for the second half. It was all-out considering I was by myself. I think that this was the equivalent of running sub 18 by myself.

Long story short, no strides or short speed was done after the time trial, but I felt like the extra distance was good for me afterward.

Thanks for the responses!!

Gabe1

Post by Gabe1 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:13 pm

I have read somewhere that it can be beneficial to run strides or short, fast intervalls after a race, because you have a very special hormonal profile in your blood stream (lots of adrenalin etc). Or something like that. I think that Salazar does this with his runners. But I don't know if there is really any science behind it, or if it is just something he believes.

And if it is a good thing to do, does that include lousy runners like me, or is it just for the Farahs, Rupps, Bekeles and their friends?

dilluh

Post by dilluh » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:44 pm

Call me skeptical but I think you have to be "on" something a little higher test than gatorade to run and gain benefits from the epic workouts that Rupp and Farah do post-race.

qrkid

Post by qrkid » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:48 pm

Josh

I normally do something extra after a 2400m TT.
Will take a really good recovery jog, at least 5min after I finish the 2400 and then I do 3 x 1000 Threshold reps with 60 sec jogs. Do a normal c/down like I would for any other workout after the reps.
My thinking is that even though the 2400 is hard it is still a very light hard day if that is all you do. I do not over do it but feel that adding some more efforts in is not that mush more on top of the TT.

dkggpeters

Post by dkggpeters » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:28 am

I see no problem doing extra work after a short (2,400m/3,200m TT) Time Trial as it is short enough to recover from quickly. Tom had me do a lot of 3 MP, 2 TT, 3 MP last year and the 3 MP actually felt a lot easier after running such a quick pace. If I raced 5 or more miles, then I wouldn't put in any additional work.