Ultra Training Question

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

westerndog

Ultra Training Question

Post by westerndog » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:02 pm

Hi All,
Training for my first 100, Umstead 03/28/15.
Have been running x 10 years, 24 marathons, 6 50Ks (2 in past 8 weeks), two 50 milers (last 2013), run about 70 mpw.
Last weekend DNFed a 50 miler@ 29 due to extreme fatigue. Felt OK the next day, so I'm not sure what happened.
Lost some confidence, but I still want to push forward.
My question is:
What should I do for the next seven weeks?
I feel that the delta from a 31 to a 100 is huge, but I don't have enough time left to try another 50.
Any suggestions/ideas would be warmly welcomed!

Clell

Re: Ultra Training Question

Post by Clell » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:47 pm

I have seen other posts dealing with this subject here.

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:48 pm

Evaluate what you did prior to yesterday's race. Did you take off? If so, that may be something you don't need to do.

Have you tried doing a short quality day before a long run? If so, sometimes a short quality makes the long run the next day better. For example let's say next Saturday you want to run 40 miles, how about doing a 5 mile run the day before including1 mile at threshold pace?
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

westerndog

Post by westerndog » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:58 am

Thanks Tinman.

This past weekend was much better-I did a five hour run on Saturday and a three hour run on Sunday and felt pretty good.

I think I'm going to try your recommendation this week-I'll do the five on Friday and try a six hour run Saturday.

Thanks so much for your suggestion. Anything else you can add would be much appreciated

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:36 pm

I will check back in a couple of days to read your posts again. I am sick as a dog now - bad respiratory infection, which I caught from my family. I am on medicines, and you know how that clouds analytical thinking and energy! Take care.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Run4ms

Post by Run4ms » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:45 pm

westerndog wrote:Thanks Tinman.

This past weekend was much better-I did a five hour run on Saturday and a three hour run on Sunday and felt pretty good.

I think I'm going to try your recommendation this week-I'll do the five on Friday and try a six hour run Saturday.

Thanks so much for your suggestion. Anything else you can add would be much appreciated

Doubles are a very important aspect when it comes to ultra marathon training. The second run is the most important as you are running in tired and depleted legs. This will help with your late miles of your race.

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:45 am

I recommend one BIG DAY on the weekend. Example, run 3 hours starting at 6 a.m. on Saturday morning. In the evening, run 3 hours. Don't worry, as long as all the distance is covered the same day, you'll benefit greatly. You may need to do this 2 or 3 times before you run your race. Note, because you split the run into two parts, you'll be able to run a few second per kilometer or mile faster, and that will also stimulate fitness development.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

westerndog

Post by westerndog » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:50 pm

Tinman,

Thanks so much.
I'm taking your advice:

Friday 5 mile with 1 mile LT
Saturday double 3 hour runs.

westerndog

Post by westerndog » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:39 am

I did complete two sessions of big workouts of six hours divided am/pm and overall it went pretty well.
The race is 03/28.
My taper plan is a 6m LT run (11 total) today, then 16/11 this weekend (50 mpw), then 13/9 the last weekend.
Does this sound OK, or should the taper be more/less aggressive?
I have averaged 70 mpw for at least the past 6 months.

Best,
Rob

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:48 pm

Yes, good volume but not too much.

I recommend some short hill reps, but not many, just to boost leg power. Try 4-6 x 40-50m at about 1 mile racing speed (walk down recoveries and jog 30 more seconds before ascending the next hill). Do that a couple of times before you race, but not within 4 days of the event.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

westerndog

Post by westerndog » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:09 am

Follow-up: Completed my first 100 in 25:08:59; ran the first 88, last 12 were a progressively slower walk, but I got it done.

Thanks for all of your help!

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:57 pm

Glad you finished - which is big, big deal!
:)
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com