Cold Weather Quality Sessions

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

dkggpeters

Cold Weather Quality Sessions

Post by dkggpeters » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:09 am

I am curious to hear others feel how much cold weather affects pace on quality sessions. I did mile repeats last night in 18 degree weather with 7 deg windchill and didn't have problems with pacing and perceived effort. I know that it probably adds a 3 to 5 seconds a mile but it is interesting when you look at articles on runnersconnect or runneracademy (by the way, I feel that these two sites do a lot of uncredited plagiarizing and in no way agree with the impact that they state cold weather affects you), the temps above should have slowed my down by 3/4% using 18 degrees and 5/6% for 7 deg windchill. These numbers are huge and no way reflect what I am seeing. My easy runs are not really slower either unless footing is an issue.

From what is stated below, I can see some impact and am curious how it affects others:

- You rely on carbohydrates more and less on fats for energy
- Your lactate production is higher for a given intensity, indicating that you’re going deeper into “oxygen debt” to produce the necessary energy to maintain a given pace (as evidenced by a higher oxygen consumption rate in colder temperatures)
- Your muscle contractions are less powerful, which demands an increase in fast-twitch muscle fiber usage, perhaps explaining the higher lactate production