Seeking Advice...

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

Barney

Seeking Advice...

Post by Barney » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:29 pm

I will be running the Boston marathon on April 20, 2015. I am in the "meat" of my training now and over the past 6 weeks or so, I have raced a 4 miler (PR), a 10k (solid time and quite happy), and a HM. I didn't run near as well in the HM, but, I feel, that was due to rain and temps around 61F. 61F is way too hot and humid for me, not to mention the course was very hilly. A solid HM prior to a marathon always gives me a pretty accurate indicator of my marathon fitness and I'm not sure my previous effort was a representative of my fitness. Here is my question.

There is another HM this coming Saturday (3/28). The forecast is for 40F, so weather should not be a factor for me. If I race the HM, I could substitute it for my long run, which was to be 20 miles with some MP running in it. With the HM, I would warm up 2 miles and cool down 2 miles, thus I would still have 17 on the day with 13.1 at HM race pace. If I race, I will still be approximately 22 days out from Boston. A bit more background, I have incorporated Tinman workouts throughout and had a really good 21 miler yesterday with the last 11 at MP.

Any thoughts, ideas, or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Seeking Advice...

Post by Tinman » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:14 pm

Sure, race the half-marathon but don't run it all-out. Use it as a solid workout, not a full-blown race.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Barney

Post by Barney » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:05 am

Tinman, do you think that if I race the HM, it won't allow for ample recovery before the marathon?

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:43 pm

Barney,

You are unlikely to recover fully from a half-marathon race completed at 100% effort in 3 weeks time.

Tinman
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Barney

Post by Barney » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:52 pm

Thanks, Tom. 2 hours ago, I had decided to race it, but after reading your response, I have chosen to not race it, as Boston is my main goal. The $75.00 entry fee may have also factored it! ;D