CV and TT - but based on what race distance?

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

billymak

CV and TT - but based on what race distance?

Post by billymak » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:22 pm

I competed last weekend in the USATF masters meet in Winston-Salem, I had races on Friday (3K), Saturday (Mile), and Sunday (800m), with the following times:
- 3k - 11:23
- 1 mile - 5:33
- 800m - 2:28

In terms of training going forward, and in light of the runningprs calculator, which time should I use as a benchmark for calculating CV and TT paces, etc.? I feel like I can definitely improve my times across the board, but also want to make sure I don't over do it in terms of training. My initial thought is even though the 800m is the best relative performance, I would probably be safer with training times based on the 3K result.

Thanks in advance!

FTIR

Re: CV and TT - but based on what race distance?

Post by FTIR » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:00 pm

3k time is a starting point but you are really trying to figure out the time you could run on the day of the workout.

For example, you most likely rested up for your race weekend and the races were indoors. In a few weeks, you will be outside, slightly tired from your mileage and maybe running at 6:00 am. With those conditions you might only be able to race 3k in 11:40 or even 11:50. This adjusted time is the one you want to put in the calculator.

BoilerTom90

Post by BoilerTom90 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:42 pm

The typical recommendation is to use a longer, not shorter, race when determining training paces (within reason of course... that is I wouldn't use a 1/2M time if I was woefully under-trained for the 1/2M). Also, consider that Tinman will prescribe a time trial of 2000 (or 2400m) to determine training paces.

The fact that your 800 was your best relative performance, despite your 3rd race in 3 days, should tell you something. Happy training!

billymak

Post by billymak » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:58 pm

Great points above!

Boiler Tom - do you mean that I should focus on the 800? :)

BoilerTom90

Post by BoilerTom90 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:11 pm

Billy,

No, unless that's what you want to get better at :-)

Most runners racing performances line up they way your's did (better at the short stuff). I was trying to point out that you, like most runners, have some natural speed, but lack stamina. The CV and TT style of training will suite you well! However, working on stamina, while retaining your speed, you'll find your 800m time dropping while your long races times drop too. It's the best of both worlds!

billymak

Post by billymak » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:59 pm

Boiler Tom -

Of course - I totally agree on currently lacking the stamina. I'm excited about the CV and TT training as a way to make sustainable progress.

In terms of keeping in touch with the speed, I think all I really need is 4 x 200 tagged on to the end of these, as I know Tinman prescribes for his combo workouts. What do you think?

By the way, in the 800, I hit the first lap in about 32 - laps 2 - 4 were not nearly as fun :)

BoilerTom90

Post by BoilerTom90 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:50 am

billymak wrote:Boiler Tom -

Of course - I totally agree on currently lacking the stamina. I'm excited about the CV and TT training as a way to make sustainable progress.

In terms of keeping in touch with the speed, I think all I really need is 4 x 200 tagged on to the end of these, as I know Tinman prescribes for his combo workouts. What do you think?

By the way, in the 800, I hit the first lap in about 32 - laps 2 - 4 were not nearly as fun :)
Adding some fast 200's at the end of a CV workout is definitely something Tinman prescribes in some situations. If you can afford it, consider hiring Tinman to train you. You won't be sorry.

Yes, I'm sure that first lap put you in oxygen debut in a hurry. From then on, it's pure pain! That's what great about racing!!