Easy / Medium / Hard Workouts (per Tinman's Articles)

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

Josh1

Easy / Medium / Hard Workouts (per Tinman's Articles)

Post by Josh1 » Tue May 26, 2015 3:09 pm

Folks,

I ran a very solid race this past weekend with a 5k in 17:55. I tried to make the day a "big workout" day, running 3 miles to warm-up, 4 miles to cool down, and actually went off in the afternoon and ran an additional 5 miles progressive from easy, to moderate, then to Tinman Tempo pace for about 2 miles. Needless to say I was sore the next day after 15 total miles on race day, so I ran 5 miles slowly the day after the race. Two days after the race I ran 12 miles as I felt (still sore) and today I ran another 5 miles slowly (still a bit sore).

Tinman's charts say that tomorrow I could quite easily do a medium workout if I wanted, but my schedule provides ample time this Friday morning to put in a big, harder workout, so I was going to do some stamina stuff followed by some 5k / 3k / mile effort work. I was thinking of a Tinman Tempo run tomorrow (Wednesday) lasting no more than 20 minutes, followed by some 150's or 200's at mile race effort. However, that would only leave one day (Thursday) to recover before the harder, longer workout I need to do on Friday.

I'm not really asking for training advice, but this situation left me with the following question:

In Tinman's easy, medium, hard workouts, does he still suggest 2 easy days to follow any of these workouts, regardless? My intuition is that "yes" is the answer. The reason being that an easy workout quickly following a race leaves you just as tired as a harder workout later in the week following that same race because you'd still "banged u"p from the race. Am I reading his guidelines correctly?

Thanks!

Tchuck

Re: Easy / Medium / Hard Workouts (per Tinman's Articles)

Post by Tchuck » Tue May 26, 2015 3:25 pm

I won't speak for Tinman but he will probably tell you to take rest if you need it. If you want to nail your Friday work out, I wouldn't mess with any quality work on Wed other than some miles and striders. It appears you really broke yourself down from your weekend race. If you are sore a few days later you are not recovered. Typically if you are a higher mileage runner, you could run a quality work out in 3 days after a 5K, but you ran more quality later in same day of a race so I think you need until Friday. Absorb your race and quality around it so you are strong for Friday. Recovery is as important as the work you put in.

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Tue May 26, 2015 10:49 pm

I have used a rule of thumb since 1989. It goes like this: 1 day of recovery or easy running per mile in a race plus 1 extra day. A 5 km race is roughly 3 miles. Hence, 3 miles x 1 day per mile plus 1 extra day equals 4 days between the race and the next "hard" day. Hard doesn't have to mean a fast workout. A long run at a moderate pace or over hilly terrain may be taxing and count as a "hard" day. It all depends upon how fast you run, how far you run, and how recovered you are when you commence the run/workout. If you have not slept, ate, or hydrated enough, you may go into what seems like a medium workout or medium effort long run and actually become very tired. If you have work or family stress, that will delay your recovery too.

Take care,
Tinman
runfastcoach@gmail.com
www.runningprs.com
coaching available
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Josh1

Post by Josh1 » Wed May 27, 2015 11:00 am

Thank you for the reply!

I went forward with my abbreviated 20 minute Tinman Tempo run after a few miles to warm-up. I then went into some 200's at mile to 800m effort - making sure my breathing and legs were in check. I followed it with a 20 min cool down and called it a day after nine miles.

I made sure to keep all of my running today in perspective with what I've done the past several days - i.e. - I adjusted my paces to reflect appropriate effort instead, which means everything was slower today than in a non-racing week. I'm starting to grasp the why behind running a day like today rather than just another 5 mile easy run. Like has been said before, "long slow distance makes long slow runners"

I'll run slowly tomorrow and then try to rip and roar on Friday morning.