Racing a Late Night Race When You're a 5am Trainer

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

Josh1

Racing a Late Night Race When You're a 5am Trainer

Post by Josh1 » Thu May 28, 2015 3:40 pm

There are a lot of late night 5k's with the days becoming longer this summer. With a new baby at home, rising temperatures, and a demanding work schedule, I typically go to bed between 9:30 and 10pm so I can wake-up between 5am and 5:45am to run. I'm in a groove where after a bagel and a cup (or two) of coffee, I'm ready to race; however, when it gets dark, let's just say I'm usually ready to hit the sack.

Obviously I could get myself to a 9pm race this summer and probably race pretty well, with some caffeine in my blood prior to the start, but how do you avoid the heat of the day, keeping with the time of day of training that works, and get your body "up" for an evening race?

As an aside, if you would have told me in my teens and early 20's I'd be posing this question, I would have rolled on the floor laughing - here's to getting older!

BoilerTom90

Re: Racing a Late Night Race When You're a 5am Trainer

Post by BoilerTom90 » Thu May 28, 2015 5:56 pm

Josh1 wrote:There are a lot of late night 5k's with the days becoming longer this summer. With a new baby at home, rising temperatures, and a demanding work schedule, I typically go to bed between 9:30 and 10pm so I can wake-up between 5am and 5:45am to run. I'm in a groove where after a bagel and a cup (or two) of coffee, I'm ready to race; however, when it gets dark, let's just say I'm usually ready to hit the sack.

Obviously I could get myself to a 9pm race this summer and probably race pretty well, with some caffeine in my blood prior to the start, but how do you avoid the heat of the day, keeping with the time of day of training that works, and get your body "up" for an evening race?

As an aside, if you would have told me in my teens and early 20's I'd be posing this question, I would have rolled on the floor laughing - here's to getting older!
There really is no avoiding the heat. It's somewhat of a curse for us that "have" to train in the morning when it's cooler, and then turn around and race when it's 20 to 30 degrees warmer in the evening. I actually have the same issue even with 8am starts. Between my normal 5:30 to 6:00 am run and an 8 am race start, temps can easily rise 10 to 15 degrees. For this old guy, I can notice the difference.

One thing that I do try to do if I know I have a warm race coming up, regardless of morning or evening is I try to get a few runs in during lunch (3 or 4 mile jogs), or I intentionally run on the TM in the morning where it's warmer than outside with no fan or cooling. Just trying to force my body to acclimate to the warmer temps.

As for being awake, I'd think just being in a race setting would get your nerves and system going to keep you from falling asleep.

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Racing a Late Night Race When You're a 5am Trainer

Post by Tinman » Thu May 28, 2015 9:01 pm

No way around it, you have to train in hotter conditions to race well in hotter conditions. Tom was right - lunch hour jogs help, as do wearing multiple layers of clothing while running at your normal time. Saunas help too.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com