Adidas Track & Field meet on TV right now!

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Adidas Track & Field meet on TV right now!

Post by Tinman » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:05 pm

NBC is showing the Adidas Grand Prix Track & Field meet from New York now.

Drew Hunter is racing the boy's high school mile. Grant Fisher, who ran 3:59 for the mile two weeks ago, is racing, as is our (own) Drew Hunter. I know the workouts I have provided since April have made him fit, but he will of course have to be patient dealing with the best boy's milers in America. Fisher is the big target for all the boys, and they know he has a blistering kick. I advised Drew to hang back 4 strides from the leader (not the pacer, who is assigned to run 1:58). We'll see how it pans out. Drew is just a Junior in high school, so this is a big deal to run with mostly seniors, and deal with the pressure and tactics. He's going to need to have confidence to manage well. I am hopeful, as is his mom, Joan, with whom I am communicated many times this week.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Clell

Re: Adidas Track & Field meet on TV right now!

Post by Clell » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:34 pm

Drew finished 2nd with a PB? I didn't watch it. Just read the results. Congratulations.

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:43 pm

Yes, Drew Hunter (a junior in high school) set a lifetime best n the 1 mile race: 4:02.36 (4:00.95 for 1600 meters) at the Adidas Grand Prix Dream Mile race. He placed 2nd overall. Fisher was first just half a second faster. I think Drew lost half a second on the last curve with another runner bumped him significantly and threw him off-stride, and Drew had to run around that kid. Drew took the lead with just over 400m to go and worked it hard. The race really was great! I am very happy for Drew, and his mom. The pace was about what I expected, and Joan passed on my thoughts about tactics. I think Drew demonstrated that he's for real, that he can execute tactics under pressure, and that he's getting better and better with more experience against the top runners in high school. He's fit, and he's motivated, so next week's 2-mile race in Seattle (sponsored by Brooks) should be exciting. Again, it will be loaded with talent, but Drew's ready.

Tinman
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

ZachCC

Post by ZachCC » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:43 pm

Great Race!! Congrats to Andrew and his family and of course to Tom for his training guidance!!

BoilerTom90

Post by BoilerTom90 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:01 pm

For those interested, you can find the race on youtube! They make it looks so easy!

runthe8

Post by runthe8 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:39 am

It was exciting. We weren't too sure what to do about the rabbit, who had been told to go out at 1:58, but didn't. None of the boys, including Grant, wanted to go out quite that fast anyway. Tactically, Drew ran well till the last 225 meters, when he let Grant pass him, and then the big problem occurred when he let Mikey Brannigan pass him at 200 to go instead of holding him off around that last turn. Drew said he was afraid that when Grant passed him, Mike would come up next to him and box him in, so he let him go around. I think that was a mistake, and Mikey cut him off when he went around Drew, leading to the stumble. Grant cut him off also a bit when he passed and cut in. Well, that's racing...you win, or you learn something! For those who don't know, Mikey Brannigan has autism. His story is amazing; look him up. Sadly, he will not be able to run in the NCAA because he can't meet the standards. Don't tell me every football or basketball player meets the standards, but that's a whole 'nother story. I guess when they bring in $$, the NCAA finds a way.

kevinm

Post by kevinm » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:36 pm

Here is the youtube link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ztgs2aPpwnE

Fun race to watch! I'm surprised they didn't give Drew more publicity during this race. They didn't seem as informed as they should have been. That was quite an improvement from an outstanding race at the Penn Relays (4:07.15). Nice job Drew, Joan and Tinman!!! Wow, without that trip, he would have been right there.