Brooks Track Meet live (Drew Hunter)

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Brooks Track Meet live (Drew Hunter)

Post by Tinman » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:02 pm

https://livecoverage.flotrack.org/event ... vitational

( It starts at 1:45 pm Pacific time).
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Brooks Track Meet live (Drew Hunter)

Post by Tinman » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:03 pm

Drew Hunter won (8:42 and change) over Grant Fisher (8:43 and change. Big kick!

I knew Drew was ready, given the workouts he has run the last two weeks - his stamina was always there, due to the ideal mix of stamina workouts, but the speed came around and that made the difference today, as it was a head-to-head kicker's race and Drew beat the so-called unbeatable Fisher. :)
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Clell

Post by Clell » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:44 pm

Great race!

kevinm

Post by kevinm » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:16 pm

I had a feeling Drew was going to beat Fisher in the 2 mile based on how strong he looked during the last mile race. That is the first time anyone has beaten Fisher in two years I believe? Awesome. I didn't get to see the race live, but hopefully the video will be up soon.

Kevin

runthe8

Post by runthe8 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:46 pm

the video is up: http://www.milesplit.com/meets/198424/v ... YYgY1VViko

I think anyone can view it.

Josh1

Post by Josh1 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:43 am

That was very impressive!! Drew's stamina must be through the roof! I will say that Fisher looks so smooth when he runs, but Drew was able to access the right gear even when tired! I guess it doesn't matter who has the most foot speed - I guess what matters is who can use the highest percentage of all-out speed with 400m to go.

Congrats!! I'm very excited to see his results next year!

runthe8

Post by runthe8 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:56 am

Yes, Drew's form is a work in progress, to say the least. He must have ducked his head 20 times during the race! But he looks SO MUCH better than he did a year ago. Still a ways to go, but his stride has lengthened and smoothed out quite a bit. Small amounts of relaxed speed, working on his thoracic mobility, and his shoulder mobility have helped a lot.

WHS

Post by WHS » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:24 am

Congratulations! Tremendous competitive spirit was displayed. It is a pleasure watching Drew compete.

jbarts

Post by jbarts » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:15 am

Great race by Drew!

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:05 pm

Drew ran the 1500m preliminary round on Thursday and qualified for the final, which is held today (Saturday) at 5:08 p.m. (Pacific time). It will be on this website, if you want to watch it: http://www.usatf.tv/

The races is the junior's level (under age 20). Drew is 17 and the youngest in the field. Some collegiate runners are in the race, including Blake Haney who placed 3rd in the NCAA Championships in this event (the 1500 meters).

It's going to be about 100 degrees Fahrenheit, so a bit hot for racing the 1500m. I predict it will be a tactical race, with a fast last 500m. I think Drew is aerobically fitter than anyone in the field, and hence I think, though he's young, he will fare very well even if it's a kicker's setup. He's strong, very strong, and I think a true competitor. The more I watch him, the more I see Steve Prefontaine - a fighter, determined, and fearless!

Tinman
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:57 pm

Drew Hunter placed 2nd in the final of the Junior (under age 20) 1500m race at the USA TRack & Field Outdoor Championships behind college runner Blake Haney. Drew beat Grant Fisher again! I think Drew ran 53.10 seconds the last 400m and 1:54.83 over the last 800m.

As I predicted in an email to Drew's dad, Marc Hunter, who was at the meet with Drew instead of "our" friend Joan (Drew's mom), the race was slow through 1,000m and then a constant uptick in speed after that. I suggested that marking (shadowing) Haney was the best strategy, since Haney is a proven stud runner at the college (university) level (he was 3rd in the NCAA 1500m final just two weeks ago). Marc was of similar belief and against taking the lead, as was I. Sure enough, Drew shadowed Haney wisely. Drew was very race savvy! It sure was fun to watch him compete!!!

http://www.usatf.tv/gprofile.php?mgroup ... _id=150469
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:23 am

Wow! What a race.
Tom and Ron: I noticed a lot of the guys in this race were "crossing the line" when their feet hit the track. In other words, their feet were falling on the midline of their bodies, Indian style, vs. one foot on each side of the line. I went through some physio last fall over this same issue: when my right foot hit the ground on the midline it was tugging on my piriformis. My physiotherapist had me do some glute exercises and after a small form correction (I now strike the ground more flat footed with my toes pointed straight ahead instead of on the outside of my right foot with my toes pointed out) I haven't had any more piriformis or IT band problems.

Any thoughts on this "crossing the line" with regards to form? The kid in the black headband who was leading for a few laps did this very pronounced.

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:49 am

Jim,

Since 1989, when I took my first graduate courses in Exercise Science, I have made it a top priority in my thoughts to help runners overcome issues with injuries. I suffered through numerous injuries as a collegiate runner, and it was frustrating! I probably never went past 8 weeks without having an injury that derailed momentum. I did not come remotely close to my potential as a collegiate runner, and to this day I regret that lost time. The question is, what did I learn from that era (mid to late 1980s) that made me focused on figuring out what were the root causes of injuries experienced/suffered through by runners?

Among the reasons for injuries were mechanics. I noted one day, while running on a treadmill in a dormitory basement where a small weight room and a couple of aerobic machines were located, that when I ran on the TM my body was swaying back and forth. I was annoyed by that fact. I was a highly experienced runner, so I should be smooth, at least that I thought I should; but, clearly I was not smooth. But, why?

I adjusted my arm swing, but that did little to rectify the problem. I adjusted where I planted my foot int he fore-aft plane, but that was very difficult to manage, as I felt even more awkward. Finally, I tried spreading my stride wider. So, rather than swing my leg to the mid-line of my body (mid-sagital plan), which was my mindset for years prior to that about what was the best way to run, I swung my leg straight ahead of the hip joint and planted my foot to the right or left of the mid-line of my body. Naturally, I thought, a compensation with my arm swing would ensue; i.e., I thought my arms would have to cross to the mid-line of my body or over to keep me from tipping over. However, I found though practice that such a notion was false. I was astounded. Oddly, even though I was planting my footsteps to the right or left of my midline of my body, I was not tipping over, nor did I have to swing my opposite arm excessively to balance my body.

Astounding, I thought! Furthermore, I noted that my calves felt weird. I have worn pronation control shoes for years because the experts in running shoe stores told me that I over-pronated. And, even though I had worn those shoes to control my pronation, still some occurred. I noted that every time I ran in fresh snow because my footprints toed outward. Yet, while running on the treadmill and planting my feet to the right or left of midline, I was minimally over-pronating. In fact, I felt as though I was not suprinating (rolling outward) at foot plant. That's crazy, I thought. How could that be? I stopped the treadmill for minute, stepped off, stood in front of the mirror that was in front of that TM, and moved my foot to various positions to the right or left of the hip joint. I noted how my body adjusted to the pressure applied downward. I noticed how my lower back and hip muscles instantly felt differently. I noticed how my IT band, which had often be tight, felt different in various positions. I even noticed how my proximal hamstring muscles (upper, back of my thigh) felt different. Certainly my calf muscles (lower legs) felt a lot of pressure differences in various positions. And, finally, I noticed that I could not pronate much at all in my shoes (pronation control shoes) whenever my foot plant was more lateral (away from the mid-line of the body). As soon as I planted my leg closer to the midline of my body, my ankle turned inward (pronated), even though my shoes were designed to prevent that problem.

"Ta-da!" I thought, "I have an answer that I never thought of before." Pronation was largely the result of WHERE my foot was planting relative to my hip joint; pronation was NOT largely related to weak ankle or foot muscles. From that day forward, I talked to runners, whom I coached as a volunteer for the University team, about swinging their leg straight ahead of their hip joint and getting rid of useless pronation control shoes, which did not solve the real problem. Yeah, there may be a small percent of people who have issues with bone alignment in their ankles, but a good physical therapist can reduce issues like that.

Relating to your comments, I suggest that swinging the leg forward of the hip joint should be a runners number one priority. Number two priority is to strengthen muscles around the pelvis that support that practice. Third priority is to created dynamic flexibility in the hip joint that creates compliance with the needs of a straight, fluid leg swing. The arc of the leg swing fore-to-aft and backward needs to be smooth, without strain, and quite stable. What you learned while working out at the gym this year is that hip strength matters, for it reduces collapsing of the hip during the running stride (hence stability), provides a basis for pushing off with coordination, rather than stochastically (without fluidity), etc. Your tight hip muscles are part of the equation. Leg swing is the other part.

Take care Jim!

Tom
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:27 pm

My physiotherapist put me on video running and wow, did my right leg ever swing into the mid-sagital plane. It was ugly. My left leg was fine. Oddly I over-pronate in the right foot more than the left. Now, however, I pronate the same in both feet. It wasn't the physiotherapist who came up with the solution. I also had a ta-da moment when I noticed that I was landing on the outside of my right foot and rolling inwards. When I planted my foot down flat on the same spot that my outside edge was landing, well, no more crossing the line. And I also try to feel now that my toes are pointed inwards yet they are straight ahead. So far so good. My trainer also says I should be getting a more powerful toe off now and generating more power from the hips than before. Maybe that explains why I can still bang out reasonably quick reps even after a year off of training, better hip and leg strength.

Funny how many people run this way though, crossing the line instead of swinging their legs from the hips.