Reducing Frequency of Illness

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

BearWhite

Reducing Frequency of Illness

Post by BearWhite » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:58 am

Hi Guys,

Just looking for advice on how to minimise the number of colds I pick up, and what to do when I do get one?

I'm doing 45-50 mpw at the moment, having worked back up to this after a 4 month break. I'm keeping the running easy on all days except for workout days (twice a week, always keeping 2 full days in between them). I'm not racing regularly (once every 3 weeks at most) and am easting lost of fruit and veg, plus getting a reasonbale amount of sleep.

When I do get ill I revert to entirely easy running (with strides) until it's gone, unless it's the flu or something really bad - then I stop entirely. This is obviously fine if I don't get ill very often but I seem to be going from one thing to another at the moment.

Any ideas on how I can reduce the number I pick up, and is what I'm doing sensible when I do get one?

Thanks

BoilerTom90

Re: Reducing Frequency of Illness

Post by BoilerTom90 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:21 am

Have you been to your Dr? Blood work to check for any deficiencies? If you're getting sick that often, besides the easy stuff I just mentioned, you need to look at the things you do that weaken your immune system

1) Are you really getting you get enough sleep, to account for all the stress in your life? Some people need more sleep than others.
2) Perhaps you're training too hard. You said you take two full days between hard days? Try only running one hard day/week for a while to see the affects. Or, only training hard every 4th days? Or don't train as hard on the days you do train hard.

BearWhite

Re: Reducing Frequency of Illness

Post by BearWhite » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:03 am

Thanks for your reply Tom.

I haven't been to check for any deficiencies as yet. For starters I'll try reducing the workouts I'm doing by a few reps to see if that improves things. Would it be worth reducing mileage as well for a few weeks and then building back up? I

Sleep is tricky as I have a young daughter, I generally get 7 hours a night which seems ok but I could probably do with a touch more. Unfortunately I have to do a lot of my running fairly early in the morning so getting more sleep isn't easy.