Racing Recovery

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

Josh1

Racing Recovery

Post by Josh1 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:25 am

I've been reading Tinman's articles and I think I already know the answer to my question, but I'll ask anyhow. Is it possible to race a 7 miler and then organize training (and maybe a rest day) in such a way to be able to go all-out again one week later in a 5k race?

I am planning to race a 5k this weekend for sure, but the next two weeks I am still pondering. The 7 miler comes after the first 5k - no issues with recovery there - but when looking past the 7 miler on to the next week, there is one other 5k race that I would like to run. I'm thinking I could easily be back to 100% after the first 5k race, going into the 7 miler, but I have a feeling that I won't be able to run the next 5k race all out the week after the 7 miler. The next week (after the 2nd 5k) would be a week off from racing for sure, but I was going to go back into my every-other weekend race format thereafter.

Thanks in advance!

dkggpeters

Re: Racing Recovery

Post by dkggpeters » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:38 pm

From a recovery standpoint, I don't see an issue with racing a 5K the week after racing a 7 miler. Obviously, you now how well you recover after a race better than any of us do. There are guidelines on recovery and some people have the ability to recover better than others and some are much worse. You have to take that into account.

If you have an A goal race out in a month or two then this would be a different story and the races may interfere with your training over the next few weeks. That would be my biggest concern.

Tchuck

Post by Tchuck » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:53 am

Go for it. I see no issue. Eat and sleep well that week and minimal sustained hard efforts and you should be fine.

Josh1

Post by Josh1 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:43 pm

Thanks for the comments. I don't have a goal race, but I want to get to the point where my 5k times are consistently in the 17's rather than 18's and go from there. I'm still up in the air on how I want to accomplish my goal. FYI, I did run 17:55 in late May with perfect weather. Then things started heating up, I gave racing one more 5k in mid-June a shot, and fell off with a 18:35 5k. From there I focused on training this summer and entered easy races where I got a change of scenery, but wasn't forced to run hard because of lack of competition - I just basically did these for a change of pace.

Today was the first 5k I've raced all-out in months and it didn't go as well as I had planned. Possibly just a rust-buster because I'm already tight and even a little sore. Perhaps a good indication that it was a rust-buster since my body is telling me it did something it wasn't used to doing.

I'm far and away a stamina runner and seem to respond really well to CV and Tinman Tempo work. If I run faster than CV pace then it is as a 2nd part to my workouts after the Tinman Tempo or CV work, making for a "big" (and long) workout. I did what I thought was an aggressive warm-up before the race and had a hard time getting going from the start. My first mile was 6:03 and I was quite disappointed it was taking so much effort to get so little output. I got a little aggressive the second mile and managed 5:48, passing several folks, but for the last mile I was back to 6 flat - but still passing people who went out too fast. I even outsprinted a guy at the line.

Our 7-month old, who has really been sleeping great the whole time, picked the wrong night to have a horrible night of sleep, so mom and dad were up until about 11:30 getting him to bed, then up at 2am, 4am, and 6am for long stints - tough night!!! I woke up starving and very thirsty this morning, took a Nuun with my water, but didn't really feel peppy the whole morning. As I mentioned earlier, although I have "raced" a few times over the summer, I haven't really focused on actually gunning for a solid time since late May and early June because I do so terribly in hot, humid weather. The temps started out nicely this morning but it was already a bit too warm by my standards once the race started. I was still sweating heavily leading up to the start.

All of this is to say that even though my best events are probably in the 5 mile to 10 mile race distances, I still want to improve my 5k from the 18:28 I ran today, consistently into the 17's and beyond for the fall and early winter. At least that is my primary objective. I have organized my racing schedule to utilize the cooler fall temps and have a 5k race scheduled every other weekend starting today (Sept 19th), really, next race of Oct 3rd, with a "season" ending around Christmas. This should give me an ample number of opportunities to improve into, and through, the 17 minute range (I hope). That said, even though I'm better at distances greater than 5k, 95% of my race registrations are for 5k's because I want to improve at that distance and you can find those races often. The 7 miler I mentioned in my prior post does bridge the "one week off" gap between 5k's, creating a race on three consecutive weekends.

I know I would probably do well in the 7-miler - honestly I believe I could run close to 6 flat pace for that flat 7 miler if today was a rust-buster. I feel this way because I usually just slow down a tiny amount when increasing my race distances. Running a solid race at the 7-miler would leave me feeling, at least psychologically, like I am making strides towards my goal of overall long-term improvement. However, I am left wondering if it would tank me too much for the every other weekend 5k schedule I have planned for the next several months. That's the bottom line if you're still reading up to this point :-)

Today's time of 18:28 was better than the same race last year when I ran 18:53 so I can't be too upset (the weather was terrific last year though). Thanks again for the responses - lots to ponder as I now tackle yard work!

dilluh

Post by dilluh » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:15 pm

Looks like you are on track and you have a plan. Good work! I definitely wouldn't worry about first effort 5k which isn't naturally in your wheelhouse anyway. I like your plan of CV/Tempo with a bit of 5k work at the end. Especially since you are racing every other weekend - there's no reason to hammer a lot of VO2max stuff. I'd just say that with a seven month old myself, that it's always better to err on the side of caution and more rest rather than charging ahead with jumps in mileage/workouts and not taking the rare opportunity for a short cat nap on weekends if possible. I have increased my mileage/time more slowly through this summer than I ever have before because I know the inputs right now are: coming off injury, still hot as hades here in TX and dealing with a baby and her new sleep patterns. All those things scream, "proceed with caution!" on the running front. Also, having a plan is key. There was no need for me to rush into any sort of shape because I won't run 5ks in this heat. It won't be until late October or early November when I'll tackle my first one.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Josh1

Post by Josh1 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:21 pm

Thanks for the response, Dilluh. You seem to have Tinman's system down pat and I'm sure you're going to rock it out when it counts - and when the weather cools. I think it gets hot in NC but I couldn't imagine TX gulf weather! It is also good to know that there is someone else out there with the joys of a 7-month old!

I think you're right that I am where I need to be for this time of year but doubts do creep in at times. I appreciate the shot of confidence. The race I ran yesterday was a little bit of a let down but there will be another race around the corner.

Regarding race recovery, I simply don't want to throw myself out of whack by running a 5k, then a 7 miler, then another 5k in consecutive weekends. The goal is to improve, not to see how much I can race. Then again I look back at the great runners of the 70's and they raced 40+ weeks per year and were quite good! Go figure!