new here, help training for the navy

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

bsmami

new here, help training for the navy

Post by bsmami » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:00 am

Hi im new here. Ive been along time reader of the zone. I learned of the site through letsrun and reading tinmams posts, which ive always found interesting. Long story short im training for the military, mynsecond stint. I started a training.thread on the great sprint coach charlie francis' website. I know its strange training for distance and posting on a sprint site, but theres alot of knowledgeable people over there. Though there is as well here and since this is more distance oriented, i wanted to get some thoughts on my training. I will most likley start logging workouts here as well. Anyways heres my thread if anyones interested http://community.charliefrancis.com/sho ... navy-seal). I have already served and am looking to go back. Im in pretty bad shape compared to what i was in 1st my enlistment in the navy. After getti g out in 2012 i havnt been doing any structured training (besides just starting back up ~3months ago), Esp distance running. Anyways if you take the time to read my thread theres alot of info i give on my past training (and current) Any help/input would be grealty appreciated. I understand what is required of me is more then running as well, though from my experience the first time in the navy running is a MAJOR MAJOR part. Looking forward towards the future. Thank you all.

Oh yea i also own build your running body. Fantastic book.

Currently im in the midst of deloading and am looking for advice on testing (what distance/s to test as well how to incorporate testing several biomotor abilities within a test cycle.

This is my most recent post on charlies forum in relation to the above (testing) its not in my training thread but i posted this in planning and periodization on his forum.
---------------------------------------
I was curious how one would go about testing in a week, or if something like this is even practical...........
I want to get a better picture of where im at, i know theres alot of diffrent conversion calculations out there. Ie 400m>200m, 5k>1M, or vice versa, but i realize everyone has there strengths and weaknesses and these dont always hold true. These tests below would all be relevant for planning upcoming training. I realize i could prob do away with say one of the shorter distance sprints, and one of the longer runs, but if able to id like to get a picture of all. As well im assuming these tests would be done after some sort of deload. If having a test week like this would it be good to have another off week following. Or perhaps spread all these tests over a 2week deload period.

Max push ups
Max pull ups
5k run
1mile run
400m run
200m run
500m swim

i just came out of a pretty rough training cycle for me (in terms of running load, everything else has felt fine) and built up some significant fatigue. So at the end of my 5 week build up ive been trying to get back to even keel. So currently 10/31 sat -11/8 sun, ive gone to all easy running, been maintaining swimming, and deloading calisthenics volume by ~ minus 20% of last load weeks volume. If i feel recovered by this coming week, maybe acouple days into week even, id like to run tests such as above to get a picture of where im at.

Something like

Mon- high cals + easy run 2-3 miles maybe finish with strides (10 x 100m)
Tues- 500yd swim TT + easy calisthenics + easy run 2-3M
Wed- 200 and 400m TT +hi cals
Thur- easy swim
Fri-1M TT + max push ups, pull up, sit up test + high cals following cal tests 
Sat- easy swim
Sun-5k TT

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: new here, help training for the navy

Post by Tinman » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:32 pm

You schedule lists TT, what is that? Is that Tinman Tempo or Time Trial?
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

bsmami

Post by bsmami » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:06 pm

Its time trial.

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:24 pm

bsmami,

I advise against running weekly time-trials. A much better use of your time is to develop stamina. Run a 1.5 mile-trial just once a month. Input that time to my online Running Calcluator (http://www.runningprs.com/calc2/index.php) and use the associated training paces.

Focus once or twice a week on CV (Critical Velocity) paced workouts. Example, 10-25 minutes of reps @ that pace, recoveries about 1/3rd the time of the rep. Example, 6 x 600m @ CV pace (let's say the time was 2:30 per rep) (jogging 50 seconds between reps). You'll make a lot of fitness progress doing CV workouts, and they won't beat you up.

Start small - probably near 10-12 minutes of CV reps the first week, and then add a little to the total time each week. Each month you'll re-test for the 1.5 mile, and the reset your training paces. You'll develop outstanding fitness in as little as 3-4 months using this approach.

Regards,
Tinman
(former military)
http://www.runningprs.com
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

bsmami

Post by bsmami » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:40 pm

Thank you tinman appreciate the advise.

I believe you may have read wrong. This schedule isnt meant to be done weekly. Its a test week.

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:45 pm

bsmami,

Okay, got it.

Still, the fitness training advice will help you.

Best,

Tinman
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

bsmami

Post by bsmami » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:00 pm

Tinman

What would you recommend in terms of progression for cv. Extension of the reps or more reps at the same distance. Or it doesnt really matter

Is there a lower/upper limit of time spent at cv per rep?

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:21 pm

bsmami,

It would not be fair to the people who hire me to coach them to describe in detail what workouts you need to do. I advise you to follow the previous guideline I provided.

Best,
Tinman
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Tchuck

Post by Tchuck » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:52 am

More reps and more time are great ways to progress as a is less rest time between CV reps. Think of total time at CV pace when analyzing your work out and progression. Generally, when less fit, start with shorter reps and a bit more rest and progress from there. Use first rep or two to ease into the pace. Faster is not always better.