heart rate feedback

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

bsmami

heart rate feedback

Post by bsmami » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:34 pm

Ive been using it more to provide feedback. And i feel its worked well on easy days to make sure im not going to hard.

When talking about zones say 70-75% hr max is easy zone. When applying this, is the avrg hr rate of the run supposed to fall in this range or should your hr not exceed 75% the whole run. I say this because ive noticed on all my easy runs, more so my longer ones. The first 10-15min hr is say about 70% then by half way through the run about 75% then then itll slowly climb towards alittle under 80% all at an even pace through the whole run. So basically its slowly climbs.

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: heart rate feedback

Post by Tinman » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:04 am

Heart rate drift is common; it's due to dehydration. So, yes, the pace that elicits 70% early on (when you are not hot and dehydrated) will rise to 75% and then eventually, if you go far enough/long enough and/or you are getting hotter, heart rate at the same pace will rise near 80% of max. Heart rate is therefore not a great training tool. It's okay. It indicates dehydration, among other things, but it should be used with a "grain of salt."

Tinman
http://www.runningprs.com
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

dilluh

Re: heart rate feedback

Post by dilluh » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:23 pm

Along with dehydration, there are other reasons that it might not be best to use heart rate as a strict guide for running paces. Your stress, level of recovery, amount of sleep and hormonal levels can also influence heart rate feedback. I stopped using a HR monitor many years ago once I noticed myself checking the heart rate every few minutes to be sure I was "in the right zone." That's a surefire way to miss out on understanding how you feel on a given run, paying attention to your body and reacting appropriately for the purpose of that run. It takes practice but it is an invaluable tool that can help immensely with maintaining consistency. Being a slave to the "beep, beep, beep! - out of heart rate zone" can also kill your enjoyment of running.

In my opinion, time trials or recent race results along with a good pace calculator (such as Tinman's) is a far better way to make sure you are running at the correct effort for a given run. Taking weather, sleep and recovery into account, of course.