Drew Hunter's Mileage

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Drew Hunter's Mileage

Post by Tinman » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:49 pm

I've seen a bunch of nonsense on letsrun.com inferring that Drew Hunter runs big mileage. Not true! I decided to set the record straight. Here are the weekly mileages, starting in July. Prior to this, he took off 10 days, including having his wisdom teeth pulled. In June, he ran some big-time meets that followed his state high school meet. In late June, Drew ran at the New Balance 2 mile (won it in 8:42.2), a heat on Wednesday of the 1500m at the USATF Junior national meet in Eugene, OR, and the final on Saturday of that week (placed 2nd to Blake Haney, a college freshman who was 3rd in the NCAA final of the 1500m a week earlier).

July 6-12: 25.1 miles (in 5 days)
July 13-19: 44.5 miles
July 20-26: 51.3 miles
July 27-Aug 2: 54.1 miles
Aug 3-9: 60.6 miles
Aug 10-16: 65.3 miles
Aug 17-23: 66.5 miles
Aug 24-30: 71.3 miles
Aug 31-Sep 6: 57.8 miles in 6 days (sick one day with a cold)
Sep 7-13: 73.5 miles
Sep 14-20: 71.0 miles
Sept 21-27: 76.8 miles
Sept 28-Oct 4: 71.0 miles
Oct 5-11: 71.0 miles
Oct 12-18: 75.5 miles
Oct 19-25: 77.0 miles
Oct 26-Nov 1: 75.5 miles
Nov 2-8: 71.6 miles
Nov 9-15: 61.3 miles (state meet week)
Nov 16-22: 76.1 miles
Nov 23-29: 62.0 miles (week of the Footlocker South Regional race)
Nov 30-Dec 6: 68.9 miles
Dec 7-13: 40.7 miles (in 6 days) (Footlocker National Championship race was on Saturday, so he took off Sunday, as planned)
------------------------------------
Take care,
Tinman
runfastcoach@gmail.com
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

BearWhite

Re: Drew Hunter's Mileage

Post by BearWhite » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:56 pm

Thanks for posting this Tinman and congratulations. Am I interpreting your post correctly in saying that Drew's only had one day off since the middle of July?

I know he's running at a very high standard but I thought even people at that level would be taking more days off than that?

BoilerTom90

Post by BoilerTom90 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:58 pm

Often times, others start criticizing, or in this case making stuff up about their training, when they are jealous of the success. Consider it a compliment.

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:14 pm

Drew took 10 days off following his long track season. He's taken one day off since July 6th. Why would you think he needs days off? First, he was not over-trained - pushed too hard that he needed to recover from abusive training. Second, he's at a pseudo-elite level. Why take time off when you don't need it? Third, ask Joe Vigil how many days off he gave runners, or ask Pat Tyson. (I asked both of them that question at clinics I attended a few years ago, and both looked at me puzzled as if to say that's a dumb question. Vigil said to me that his runners at Adams State University were highly motivated, focused, and tough. They didn't need time off during the season. He said something to the effect that a runner must constantly put pressure on his aerobic system. There's no easy way. Your either getting better or your not. I was also impressed when Pat Tyson who said to me that his high school runners, when he coached at Mead High School, one of the very best high school programs in the nation when he was there, ran 7 days a week all school year; they ran twice a day Mon-Friday (they had what he said was "zero-hour" before school, and the boys ran half an hour or more all year, basically, during school time).)
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

BearWhite

Post by BearWhite » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:28 pm

Tinman wrote:Drew took 10 days off following his long track season. He's taken one day off since July 6th. Why would you think he needs days off? First, he was not over-trained - pushed too hard that he needed to recover from abusive training. Second, he's at a pseudo-elite level. Why take time off when you don't need it? Third, ask Joe Vigil how many days off he gave runners, or ask Pat Tyson. (I asked both of them that question at clinics I attended a few years ago, and both looked at me puzzled as if to say that's a dumb question. Vigil said to me that his runners at Adams State University were highly motivated, focused, and tough. They didn't need time off during the season. He said something to the effect that a runner must constantly put pressure on his aerobic system. There's no easy way. Your either getting better or your not. I was also impressed when Pat Tyson who said to me that his high school runners, when he coached at Mead High School, one of the very best high school programs in the nation when he was there, ran 7 days a week all school year; they ran twice a day Mon-Friday (they had what he said was "zero-hour" before school, and the boys ran half an hour or more all year, basically, during school time).)
Thanks for clarifying Tinman. Does this hold at much lower levels of the sport, providing the training program has been put together appropriately?

I usually take one day off a week, but then find it's a struggle to keep up the mileage I want to do with a day less to run in.

wuxcalum

Post by wuxcalum » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:34 pm

Tinman,

If willing to share, what would a typical breakdown of runs look like each week? Congrats on the great season and the bright future for Drew. Your interview on Dyestat was fantastic! I am really happy to see you getting some recognition for your brilliant coaching. I know that I would not be half the coach that I am without your help and the others on this website.

Jimmy

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:37 pm

It's important to consider the foundation level of your athletes before scheduling training. A novice needs less intensity than a highly experienced, well developed runner. Having said that, here's the overview of Drew's buildup:

July and August started with low volume distance per-day and per-week, building from about 5 miles a day to about 10 miles per day (a gradual building), on average. Some days are a little higher (like the long run day of 90 minutes); other days were shorter, on his recovery runs. During those two month, short tempos, CV fartlek, striders, and introduction to hills via distance runs were included.

September included an assigned number of CV intervals, striders, tempo progression runs, long runs, a couple of cross country races, and one semi-hard interval workout in lieu of a race, when he visited the University of Oregon. The workout was on wood-chips, mostly. (Drew traveled on recruiting trips during September, so that limited his number of races. He visited the University of Wisconsin, Stanford, and the University of Oregon.)

October was a weekly race, a key workout that combined CV and hills, plenty of striders and a weekly long run of 90 minutes.

November was an extension of October, but a a small number of work closer to V.O2 max - on weeks when not racing - plus a weekly modest volume controlled fartlek was run, including an assigned number of 30 second time reps at specific speeds.

December was peaking, with a hard 3 x 1600m and 3 x 40 second hill workout a week before the national race. The week of the race was a limited CV workout with a short time trial; 30 second fartlek reps were still included in lower volume. The last key workout was completed a week before the race; the workout was run on the track; although it was originally scheduled to be run on grass. I watched it on Facetime and communicated with Drew, Joan, and Marc Hunter, providing feedback and directions. Drew ran the workout in sweats. It was a cut-down workout. The last 1600m rep was 4:13, and that was still well under control with intermediate splits of 62+ 2:07, and 3:12.

Those are all the training details I'm willing to provide now.

During the last two weeks, Drew showed me that he could run faster than he did last spring, when he ran 4:02 for the mile and 8:42 for 2 miles. I think in a race with elite competition pushing him, he could have run 3:59 for the mile or 8:34 for 2 miles. Alone, he probably could have run 4:03 and 8:44. He's just a great competitor, and his performance level rises when he's got someone to kick down or run away from who has similar ability.

He'll build back up to a sustainable training pattern and volume for indoors, including a mix of CV, hills, striders, and so on. He'll do a small amount of quality at the end of CV workouts to ready for racing, but not too much. He'll be ready to run at a solid level without hammering away like most kids who race indoors.

Drew is on a roll, and I intend to make sure it stays that way.

Regards,

Tinman
runfastcoach@gmail.com
http://www.runningprs.com
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

TexNav

Post by TexNav » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:28 pm

Tom, thank you very much for sharing.

ZachCC

Post by ZachCC » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:37 pm

Good stuff Tom :) Congrats to you, Andrew, and Family, great race, great season!!

jbarts

Post by jbarts » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:20 pm

Tom,

Thanks for the information on Drew's training. It's easy to see that consistency huge here, and those of us who are familiar with your system know that your workload loads and progression enable that to happen.

Jeff

HRE

Post by HRE » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:54 pm

Tinman wrote:Drew took 10 days off following his long track season. He's taken one day off since July 6th. Why would you think he needs days off? First, he was not over-trained - pushed too hard that he needed to recover from abusive training. Second, he's at a pseudo-elite level. Why take time off when you don't need it? Third, ask Joe Vigil how many days off he gave runners, or ask Pat Tyson. (I asked both of them that question at clinics I attended a few years ago, and both looked at me puzzled as if to say that's a dumb question. Vigil said to me that his runners at Adams State University were highly motivated, focused, and tough. They didn't need time off during the season. He said something to the effect that a runner must constantly put pressure on his aerobic system. There's no easy way. Your either getting better or your not. I was also impressed when Pat Tyson who said to me that his high school runners, when he coached at Mead High School, one of the very best high school programs in the nation when he was there, ran 7 days a week all school year; they ran twice a day Mon-Friday (they had what he said was "zero-hour" before school, and the boys ran half an hour or more all year, basically, during school time).)
That's a great post. Years ago, John Davies had an article in the old New Zealand Runner with a "beginners'" schedule for 10km racing. There were no days off in the schedule, which covered at least three months. A reader wrote in to suggest the lack of days off was a problem and John's answer was essentially yours; if you need a day off take one by all means but don't if you don't. Jack Farrell who you may know and who was a very successful high school coach in California for years wanted his runners running seven days a week and gave out certificates to kids after they'd run for stretches of consecutive days.

When I was trying to get to being a mediocre college runner as opposed to being a really bad one I decided early on in the process that a big problem I'd had in my time of really stinking was that I kept missing days so I decided that I wasn't having any. It was difficult at first and I did sort of struggle but I figured out that the difficulty really was nearly always mental. Once I'd worked that out I just had to develop some self discipline and made huge improvements,

Gabe1

Post by Gabe1 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:41 pm

Drew looks so strong and solid in his upper body when he runs fast. Does he do a lot of upper body/core training, or is he just strong by nature?

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:17 pm

Drew strength trains but not excessively. His parents are to credit for that!

First observation that I made in-person last weekend: Drew is not puny like some distance runners. He appears athletic, but in no way is he over-muscled. He looks fit in an all-around way, but he doesn't look anything like a ball-sport athlete who would carry more muscle in order to compete successfully.

Second observation: Drew doesn't slump badly in the shoulders like a like many of the distance runners I've seen over the years. He stands with good posture.

Tinman
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

runthe8

Post by runthe8 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:15 pm

Drew has worked quite a bit in the weight room in the last couple years, doing a combination of things, mostly to make him more durable and less likely to become injured, but he has also done some more traditional (and probably useless except for aesthetics!) lifting like bench press and biceps curls. He has cut back on the strength work a little this fall because he doesn't need to carry any more muscle/weight, and we are more focused on postural type work, hips, glutes, and core. He is not following a set routine right now, but chooses from a variety of exercises. I think part of the reason he looks so muscular is that he is really lean.

Gabe1

Post by Gabe1 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:33 pm

Thanks for the answers. Seems evident that the strenght training has benefited his running form. Very wise to focus on making him strong all around. Good job!