Best way to train hills

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

kresimir.karas@gmail.com

Best way to train hills

Post by kresimir.karas@gmail.com » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:19 am

I'd like to hear Tinman opinion about what is the best way to training hills, let's say i would like to race a trail race 100km with 6500 meters of vertical gain. And training advice from other are welcome.
Kreso

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Best way to train hills

Post by Tinman » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:04 pm

First, specificity rules. Do long trail runs on hilly trails. Second, do long hill reps @ slightly faster than normal race pace. Third, do shorter reps (around 30 seconds) at 3k to 1 mile race speed/effort.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

dilluh

Re: Best way to train hills

Post by dilluh » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:32 pm

I totally agree with Tinman. My ultra/trail running friends all swear by specificity training for these long events. If it's hilly, you need to train on hills - there's no way around it. A 100k race is a lot of shock to absorb so training needs to, as safely as possible, simulate and build your body up to endure the pounding. Rest and recovery from workouts is crucial as well. Finally, determining a good fueling strategy can make or break your race. Figure out what works for your stomach during training runs.