The Running Summit (clinic) in Chicago: June 25th and 26th

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

The Running Summit (clinic) in Chicago: June 25th and 26th

Post by Tinman » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:53 pm

Just received notice that The Running Summit (clinic), held on June 25th and 26th, 2016 has just opened for registration. Dr.s Joe Vigil, Jack Daniels, and Ross Tucker, along with your's truly, will be speaking. If you use the link below, you will have a price reduction of $10.

Tinman is the coupon code word for the discount.

http://www.runningsummit.com/

http://www.runningsummit.com/midwest/default

http://www.runningsummit.com/midwest/information#cost
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

savage run

Re: The Running Summit (clinic) in Chicago: June 25th and 26

Post by savage run » Mon May 09, 2016 10:39 pm

Will this be viewable in a online video after the event?

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Mon May 09, 2016 11:38 pm

I will ask the owner if he will be filming the clinic.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Tue May 10, 2016 3:31 pm

I emailed the director of The Running Summit about video taping of the clinic. He said there are no plans to do so because of issues with intellectual property rights. So sorry!
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

runadidas218

Post by runadidas218 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:57 pm

Hope day 1 of the clinic went well Tinman. Did anyone get a chance to go to this clinic? I wasn't able to make arrangements around my busy schedule to be there.

wuxcalum

Post by wuxcalum » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:28 pm

I was able to attend the clinic and really enjoyed it. Tinman was very enthusiastic and I learned more nuance and also confirmed a lot of what I am doing as a follower of the Tinman way. He did a great job of not lecturing dryly but injecting anecdotes and passion into his presentations that left the audience inspired and informed. I was able to introduce myself and thank him in person for both the direct advice and indirect advice of this community that has had a huge impact on my coaching. I came to this community as a first year coach in the fall of 2009. In the spring of 2010 I began asking for help with a struggling 800 runner who I learned from the Tinman was lacking endurance and needed CV reps (50 sec 400 PB). He went from 2:03 to 1:57 in 3 weeks and qualified for state. After that I was hooked on the Tinman way, CV reps, and devoured whatever I could get my hands on to help my teams! Over that time Tinman has graciously replied to my posts and emails and even helped write training for my first two top level state athletes back in 2011-2012. In the six years since discovering this board and implementing the Tinman way, our boys have qualified for cross country state 4 of the last 6 years including a 6th in 2014 and 1st in 2015. We have had a total of six all-state xc athletes including the 2015 individual state champion as well in that time. In track we have had one 800 state champion, two 1600m runners up, two 3200m runners up, and a 1600m 3rd place not to mention several more 4x800 and individual distance event state qualifiers.

I certainly don't want this post to come off as a brag of accomplishments, rather it should be interpreted as the Tinman way can transform any coach and program into a success if they work hard and developing their training methods and creating a positive team culture that promotes hard work and enthusiasm. His philosophy of keeping the ball rolling with two workouts and a long run per week and relaxed recovery runs keeps the kids mentally and physically fresh throughout the season so that they are excited and ready to run their best when it counts at the end of the season!

Thanks again to Tinman and all other members of this community who have been instrumental in helping our team and this coach to be the best they can be!

Jimmy

BoilerTom90

Post by BoilerTom90 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:31 pm

My son and I went on day 2. We both really enjoyed it, and enjoyed finally getting to meet Tinman.

As I mentioned to Tinman in an email, the stories from Daniels' and Vigil were interesting, but I liked how Tinman stayed more on topic and covered the material he was intending to cover. Not that I ever had any doubt about Tinman's training methodology, but I think he made a very compelling case for it being viable. First, the success of Drew should be immediate validation, but knowing where Jimmy coaches and the success his runners have had lends even more credibility. Congrats Tinman, and Jimmy!

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:54 am

Thanks to Jimmy and Tom for their kind words about the presentations at The Running Summit. Tom missed the first day, which I think was a better presentation than the second day. Due to how time was managed before I spoke on Sunday, I was allotted 15 minutes less than expected. Furthermore, 90 minutes (in my case 75 minutes) is simply not enough time to really get into details the way I want. I'm a big believer in making technical information practical. I really like to go over the nuances with coaches, show them how I apply the information in context - in real life; and I really want coaches to ask questions. It is in the questions and responses, back and forth, that some serious advancement of knowledge occurs. It is where the rubber meets the road, so to speak. And, when coaches ask questions, and I respond, it helps other coaches think of their own situations, their own challenges, their own problems that need solutions. We learn from each other. We learn through collaboration. Sharing good idea, sharing problems and solutions, and working through them - the process - is really where growth happens.

I am hopeful that people enjoyed the lectures I gave enough to request my return. I have a lot more information to share. On the plane ride home from Chicago, I jotted down on a piece of paper some ideas. I spent 2-hours of my 4-hour flight writing ideas. It's a long list. There's a lot that can be discussed, explored, and examined yet. The difference between good and great and outstanding is possible once we go into the details more thoroughly. I've believed that I'm blessed with some skills or knowledge or talents in how to change the ordinary into extraordinary. Maybe it's centered around curiosity. Maybe it's a strong desire to see improvement - in myself and all the people around me. There's a voice in my head that's always saying, "We can do this better!" I challenge all of you, my friends and colleagues, to take on that challenge. As I said to several of the coaches who asked me questions after each lecture, "I want to make America the best running nation in the world." In truth, I am tired of the African nations winning the medals in the Olympic Games or World Championships. I know that two things are possible, once we get our belief system right: We can compete and beat the best Africans, and we can be far better coaches than have ever walked on the face of the earth. It all starts by taking on new methods of training and preparing athletes. We gotta use our brains to solve problems. We gotta stop perpetuation the mindset that harder is better. Harder training works effectively in the first couple of years of training, but it doesn't work well at all after that. Better training is not harder training. We gotta keep that in our minds constantly. We can do it!

Tom "Tinman" Schwartz
runfastcoach@gmail.com
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com