Twice a week CV intervals?

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

k.bence1995

Twice a week CV intervals?

Post by k.bence1995 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:55 pm

Are there any benefits of doing two CV intervall sessions on the same week? Or the second workout of the week sould be something else(aerobic fartlek,tempo,LT)?
Is the progression will be faster with two Cv s in some weeks or should i stuck with 8% cv s of total weekly mileage?
Thanks!

runkona

Re: Twice a week CV intervals?

Post by runkona » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:57 am

The more research u do it will confirm 2xweekly

Lazar

Post by Lazar » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:07 pm

runkona wrote:The more research u do it will confirm 2xweekly
Can you respond with some official sources that back up only 2 cv/speed/tempo workouts a week. It's hard to find something that isn't just off a running website or blog, because many running websites say different things. I went to one of Tom's seminars and he backed this up with a research study at a Ivy League college, but I couldn't find this study.

Tchuck

Post by Tchuck » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:51 am

I think it is wise to mix up "work outs" to enhance all parts of your fitness. One CV work out per week is sufficient. The other work out should be more in the tempo range like fast tempo Reps or moderate tempo sustained pace for longer periods or progression tempos. Keep your body off balance. With that being said, 2 CV work outs per week certainly will not be harmful and you can mix it up like one could be 6-8 X 3 min and another could 4-5 X 5 min.

dilluh

Post by dilluh » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:32 am

Multi-pace training is something that Tom and many other successful coaches implement. It's good for your development to run a variety of paces each week. The key is to know how much and how frequently. As stated before, you won't hurt yourself doing 2x CV workouts per week but I'm not sure it's optimal training unless under some specific circumstances. Also, on the mental side of things, variety is better. I could see myself staling, mentally, running 2xCV weekly.