Training questions for a marathoner

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

EstoRun

Training questions for a marathoner

Post by EstoRun » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:50 pm

Hi Tinman and everybody, sorry for long post: I'm a 19-year old training for the Flying Pig Marathon May 7th 2017 trying to design a training plan for myself. My most recent indicator effort was an all-out 1600 in 5:25 (my PR). My best race ever is probably 11:05 3200 meters, 1.5 years ago. My highest mileage week ever is 45, and I did 40 consistently during high school. My marathon PR was last year's Flying Pig, my second marathon, in 3:13:55. My goal is to break 3 and go to Boston. My current plan is heavily based on Jack Daniels. I'm doing 30 miles a week right now, and I plan on building up to 50-60 mpw over the next 15 or so weeks. I then plan on holding mileage there while doing three 6-week phases with focuses on Jack Daniels Reps, Intervals, and Threshold running in that order, with two fast days and one long run each week.

I have several questions to try to make this plan better:

A) Are my mileage goals smart/realistic?
B) Should I change mileage when I start doing more fast running in 15 weeks?
C) I'm doing 3 weeks at 30 miles, then 3 weeks at 35 miles, then 40, all the way to 50-60. Is this a good way to increase mileage?
D) How do I incorporate these new terms I'm reading about like CV running, different levels of tempo running, and the many new paces from the runningprs calculator into my training? Right now my mileage and future workouts will include:
-Jack Daniels Threshold pace, to be used for mile and 2 mile repeats, 3-4 mile runs, and negative split long run workouts
-JD Rep pace, to be used for 200,400, and 600 meter intervals
-JD Interval pace, for 800, 1000, and 1200 meter intervals
-JD Easy pace, for all other miles, including non-workout long runs

Thanks for any help!!!!!!

Tchuck

Re: Training questions for a marathoner

Post by Tchuck » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:34 am

EstoRun

Re: Training questions for a marathoner

Post by EstoRun » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:20 pm

Thank you so much!