3-day rotation questions

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

k.bence1995

3-day rotation questions

Post by k.bence1995 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:08 pm

Hello all!
I ve got couple questions about the 3-day rotation. First i would be glad to read some comments , from runners that tried it.
Isn t it against the push the pace to times rule? For example 1,easy 2,TT 3,CV fartlek+strides would give 4 or even 5 faster runs in a week , isnt it too stressful?
The amount of these workouts sould be reduced?( if i can run 9 cv 1ks and 50min of TT sould it be divided by 0.8 or 0.9?)
Can i add secondary easy runs (about 30minutes)?
The amount of easy runs per week isnt too low , i ve read that Tinman recommends 75% easy of the weekly mileage up to 80%
Seems like a great method for base/fitness building and to elevate my threshold but i m courius if i could handle it.
Please share your experiences! thank You

ThomasB

Re: 3-day rotation questions

Post by ThomasB » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:23 pm

You are very far from what Tinman teaches. Your schedule is way way too hard!

If you want a 3 day rotation, stick with :

Day 1 : CV or temp + just a few 200m at the end à 1500m pace (alternate CV and tempo)
Day 2 : recovery so just easy pace running (mileage as you want)
Day 3 : easy running with a few 20 to 30 seconds hills @3000m to 1500m effort at the end

And you can add as many secondary easy runs as you want as long as your body can handle the mileage.

Tchuck

Post by Tchuck » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:42 am

Yes, do what Thomas mentions above with extra miles before and after the quality work so you get both the miles and quality in those 2 work outs per week, hence, push the pace twice........

Josh1

Post by Josh1 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:22 pm

In Tom's 3-day rotation, he was running fractions of workouts. If he could have run 7 x 1000m at CV, instead he would have considered 3-4 reps, and the pace would have been adjusted to that day's 35 minute race pace. This is an example of how he would scale-down the hardest day of the 3-day rotation.

What he actually did in his schedule, however, was continuous running each day.

Something like:

Day 1 - 5 miles at today's 5k pace + 2 min to 2:30 / mile
Day 2 - 5 miles at today's 5k pace + 1 min to 1:15 / mile
Day 3 - 5 miles at today's 5k pace + 25 sec to 45 sec / mile (until the last 5 min when he would push a little harder up a hill

On top of that, only the last two-thirds of each run on day 2 and day 3 was in the faster realm and the first 10 - 15 minutes was slower.

Tom could run 5 flat pace for the 5k and 4:20 for the mile under this program. This routine is not hard at all for someone of that performance level.

FTIR

Post by FTIR » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:51 am

While I agree that the OP's version of the three day rotation is most likely too hard, it really depends on what else he has going on in his life, his age and his level of other non-physical stress. Part of the reason that Tom was able to have so much success was that his job had him on his feet many hours a day and he played basketball hard (and kind of long if I remember) once a week. Another example would be a walking mail man does not need all the base mileage that someone with a desk job needs. If the OP's only physical effort in his day is his training, things are different.

Tom has written on here about another 3 day rotation on the "low mileage - but still effective" thread.

http://www.therunzone.com/viewtopic.php ... er+mileage

That thread's 3 day rotation included both a tempo day of up to 3 miles at TT pace and then a CV day with 5-6 x 1000 at CV pace.

Having said all that, however, my experience with a 3 day rotation suggests it is very important to build up very slowly. Once you have achieved somewhere between a basic and a solid amount of work, don't make increases more than every other month. It really is about waiting for the improvement to come to you. Because the work is packed together, you don't need as much but you still are thinking like you did when your workouts were further apart so it is very easy to over do it. Even better, I would hire Tom to walk you through the process.

dilluh

Post by dilluh » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:39 pm

The thread that FTIR referred to is pure gold!

While I've never used the three day scheme, I can see how it would be effective and attractive to those who have other physically demanding aspects or time constraints in their lives. I still stick to the "big two workout" scheme that Tom devised for me for 10k training. It has always produced good results and consistent training. I like lumping the workouts into two big efforts and then having significant days of easy running otherwise.

dilluh

Post by dilluh » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:43 pm

I may have to take a stab at this for my summer training. Last year I basically took a 2.5 month hiatus (save one or two 30-45 minute easy runs per week) in order to not train through the brutal central Texas heat. Instead I focused on lap swimming and biking, and then ramped back up in the fall. It worked OK but I found it took some time to build back basic endurance/stamina.

This summer, instead of the 2.5 month hiatus maybe I'll go with this schedule:

M: 30 min easy
Tu: 30 min w/ moderate - tempo segment at end
W: 30 min w/ 3 x (3-4 min LT - CV + 2 min jog) + strides
Th: 30 min easy
F: 30 min w/ moderate - tempo segment at end
Sa: 30 min w/ 3 x (3-4 min LT - CV + 2 min jog) + strides
Su: off/rest

I think one part of beating the central Texas heat is just not being out running in it for too long. This kind of schedule would help with that and I would likely maintain decent running fitness through the summer.