No hills

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

mtummins

No hills

Post by mtummins » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:55 am

First off thank you to everyone on this board. I have learned alot from searching and reading this board. I coach in an area that has no hills. Only a couple of ditches that are not that big at all. With that said what can I do running wise to help train by runners for hills?

Thank you guys.

BFB344

Re: No hills

Post by BFB344 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:25 pm

To substitute for the additional leg strength gained from running up and down hills:

1) Plyometrics
2) Circuit Training, with running in between exercises

To deal with the change in rhythm caused by hills:

1) Throw in short surges during tempo runs or longer intervals. (small changes in pace)
2) Focus on maintaining effort (NOT PACE) when running uphill during races.

FTIR

Post by FTIR » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:34 am

Be really careful with fancier types of plyometrics. Stick with basics like skipping.

I like the other suggestions. I suggest running in long grass and/or sand.

Grass won't hit everything you need to run up hills but stronger ankles and picking up your knees a little more are a good start.

Physeder

Post by Physeder » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:28 am

In the area you live are there stadiums with Bleachers ?. Get permission to run those. Any building with more than two stories . get permission to run up stairs. Simple plyometrics like hopping on one leg is helpful. :D

PeterMichaelson

Post by PeterMichaelson » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:10 pm

What Physeder said.

Also, I heard Coach Gagliano talk about using the ramp in a multi-story parking garage for hill work. Of course, get permission and be careful of vehicles. Gags also suggested wearing fairly sturdy shoes (not racing flats) for hill workouts.

Physeder

Post by Physeder » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:47 pm

Thanks Peter. I recall Arthur Lydiard talking about this years ago. An example : He said a Coach in Florida (Jacksonville) had this exact problem. No Hills. Arthur saw a large building 2 miles away .. said "Run the Stairwell in that" . A year or so later .. a successful team. The coach ran the kids to the Building for warmup and made them run the stairs for 11 Floors. They took the elevator down and then repeated .. then jogged the kids the 2 miles home ... Where the is a will there is a way !!!