Weight training and injury prevention

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

cweeks

Weight training and injury prevention

Post by cweeks » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:04 pm

Hey everyone,

Is there anyone who has advice and guidance regarding strength training and injury prevention work? I work with high schoolers, with some experience in the weight room, however, I want to find an optimal weight routein that will give them the most bang for their buck. I coach some athletes who are really weight and other with moderate strength.

Also, are there any good training websites or books out there that you recommend? I would like to form an understanding of this rather than just copy and paste work outs. Thanks!

cweeks

Re: Weight training and injury prevention

Post by cweeks » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:50 pm

I coach some athletes who are really weak and others with moderate strength.*

dilluh

Re: Weight training and injury prevention

Post by dilluh » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:39 pm

Unless a runner has a serious/diagnosed structural problem, running should not cause injury. In my own running, 95% of the time an injury occurs, it's because I did too much too soon.

However, I think there is value in weight training for distance runners. Particularly squats, dead lifts, cleans and other "power" lifts at low repetitions at high weight. The problem is that without proper instruction, most beginners do these types of lifts incorrectly and do not get the maximum benefit, or worse, hurt themselves in the process.

Another way to go is by establishing good balance, core and trunk strength. Balance ball, balance board work, and Pilates-type exercises can be of benefit here. Convincing young distance runners that these are worth the time is a separate issue.