Tinman training taking over!

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

Biff

Tinman training taking over!

Post by Biff » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:28 pm

Congratulations to runthe8 and the Loudoun Valley boys cross country team on winning NXN!

Congrats to the Tinman Elite team for winning US Club Cross team title!

With Drew Hunter leading the way, it looks like Tinman is really starting to make a name for himself in the elite running world. Good stuff

ThomasB

Re: Tinman training taking over!

Post by ThomasB » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:14 am

Already started a thread on this in the "race" section but anyway I agree 100% with you!

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:22 am

Proud of my team, as they proved they are a force to be reckoned with!

Three coaches from other teams filed a protest in an attempt to disqualify the Tinman Elite. (You make the call as to why they would file a protest.) They complained that Morgan, my top runner in 4th place, who led the race most of the way but was reeled in by the pack near the end of the race, did not have a fully-blue colored shirt. *I was told the most the USATF could have done is disqualify Morgan; but, the Tinman Elite team would have won using our 6th man who placed 14th! Our runners placed 4th, 7th, 9th, 10th, 11th, and 14th overall. I am very proud of them! (I guess "buying" foreign runners by the US Army (American Distance Project) team wasn't good enough to get the job done. ;)
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

dilluh

Post by dilluh » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:53 am

Fantastic result Tom! Are all of these athletes currently training with you (or using your methods)?

With respect to buyouts, did you notice the outcome of the Euro XC championships, particularly the Turkish team? ???

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:35 am

One of the runners is borrowed from Brad Hudson's group. Trever Dunbar wanted to race on a team but Brad did not have a group attending. Trevor requested to run on my team, so I asked Brad for his permission to have Trevor join the Tinman Elite. He approved, so an official application was filed via USATF. (Ray Flynn's sports agency filed the application because it is the official agent for Trevor via Nike.) USATF approved the application, and Trevor ran for us.

Dan Nestor is not officially coached by me (yet), but he's been training with my runners during the autumn.

Morgan, George (he goes by his middle name, Sam), Reed, and Tyler are coached by me.

Drew did not race because he stumbled on a rocky trail up in the mountains west of Boulder, CO and broke his toe. He has been cross-training in the pool, on the Alter-G, and some elliptical. I am confident he would have been in the top-5 of that race, and I suspect he would have been a contender for the victory. Nobody could have handled him in the last 400m of that race. All fall, I believed that Morgan and Drew could run together in the race and it would yield a 1-2 result, either way.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Biff

Post by Biff » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:46 pm

Wow, that's a bummer about Drew! I'm sure it is pretty exciting to see him, a miler, have such great strength that he could hang for 10k with the cross country guys. But I guess that is what you would expect with the Tinman training approach.

Anyway, hope the rehabbing is going well and we get to see him pop some fast times this Winter/Spring.

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:08 pm

Sadly I found out on Monday that USA Triathlon organization in Colorado Springs stole my top distance runner, Morgan Pearson. They promised to take care of him financially and he took it because he's tired of struggling to make ends meet. USA Triathlon was unethical in my opinion. They secretly courted him. Not once did they contact me, Morgan's coach. And, they required Morgan to use their coach, not me. Wow, I thought, how could they be dismissive of the current coach who contributed to his success at the elite level? And, how could they assume that I cant' coach the triathlon? And, it also bothers me that Morgan will not get his chance to run in the Olympic Games in the 10,000m. I'm positive he could and would make the USA team in 2020 and compete in the O-Games. I figured he was going to run 13:18-16 and 27:42-38 on the track in 2018. Based on how well he ran at Club Nationals, leading the race for 5 miles by a large margin, I figure he's already capable of low 13:20s and low 28:00s now.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com