Tweaking 3-day rotation for 10k

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

rewer

Tweaking 3-day rotation for 10k

Post by rewer » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:21 pm

I am 33 with PRs 19:30 for 5k (late 2015) and 42:00 for 10k (late 2016). I've never run more than 20-25 mpw consistently. For the last two months (after a long while of not being able to run consistently) I have been following a schedule based on Tinman's 3-day rotation which on average looked something like this:
Sun 4.5M easy
Mon 4.5M with 15-20 min at moderate pace
Tue 4.5M with 4x800 at CV pace (15 min)
Wed 4.5M easy
Thu 4.5M with 15-20 min at moderate pace
Fri 4.5M with 15 min at tempo pace
Sat day off
The paces felt relatively easy as they were based on my reference 5k time of 22:30 at the end of October. Last week I ran 2400m time trial in 9:45, ie. equivalent to 21:15 according to Tinman's calculator.
As I am signed up for a 10k race in two months time, I have been thinking about gradually transitioning to a schedule which could eventually look like this:
Sun 5M easy
Mon 6-7M with 6x800 at CV pace (20 min)
Tue 5M easy
Wed 5M easy with 15-20 min at moderate pace
Thu 5M easy
Fri 6-7M with 30 min at tempo pace
Sat day off
The aim is to get in more "quality" and at the same time a bit more distance as I don't think that 10k can be decently run off 4.5M runs. The reason for keeping the moderate run is that I don't like back to back days of easy running although it is clear to me that the moderate pace is not a very efficient pace for training for 5k/10k distances. Also, there is no proper long run as I am limited by my troublesome knee to max 8 miles. I would like to run a 5k race every 4 weeks or so and maybe a 2400 time trial in between the races.

Does the new schedule make sense or would I be better off sticking to the current schedule? I'll appreciate any comments or suggestions thrown my way.

PS: Many thanks to Tinman and the RunZone's regulars for sharing your wisdom around here. It's priceless.

dilluh

Re: Tweaking 3-day rotation for 10k

Post by dilluh » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:08 pm

I'd personally drop the moderate pace run in lieu of some fartlek. 'Shorter' bits at around 5k pace, 'longer' bits at LT-Tempo pace. Go by feel and don't push it to being a workout, keep the whole effort relaxed, and don't be afraid to bag it if not feeling fresh and just letting it be an easy run. My only other comment would be that 30 minutes at tempo pace might be pushing the high end for a low(er) mileage runner - just my opinion though. Otherwise, looks decent.

rewer

Re: Tweaking 3-day rotation for 10k

Post by rewer » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:56 pm

Thanks, dilluh. I'll try 10x(1min at 5k pace, 1 min jog) and be careful with the tempo runs.