Bare Minimum Mile Training

Featuring TheRunZone?s resident coach Tinman. All participants are welcome to post and reply to topics in this section whether you?re looking for advice, or sharing your own coaching experience.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

bencrush

Bare Minimum Mile Training

Post by bencrush » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:54 am

Hello everyone. Looking for some input on an abbreviated mile-improvement training plan. I am 42 years old, work 12 hour shifts in a jail, and have a wife and a 5-year-old daughter. So training time is somewhat limited due to work schedule and life in general. I have been doing an average of three 30-minute cardiac output sessions a week for the last few months, along with one day of running at pretty relaxed pace for anywhere from a mile to a 3 very slow miles.

I want to run in a casual 1-mile race in March (about 8 weeks away) and would like to improve my 1-mile baseline run time as much as possible. I am aware that dropping some bodyweight (fat) will help (I am 5'10" and 227lbs) and am slowly trimming my weight down.

I'd like to know the biggest bang for my buck options. For example, if I was only able to get one run workout in a week - what should that single run session look like to improve my race in 8 weeks? If I was able to get two run workouts in a week - what should be my first and second choice?

I appreciate the help and those taking the time to respond! I have looked over a lot of Tinman articles here on the forum and a bunch of Mike Prevost, Joel Jamieson, Mike Robertson info.

I have access to a 200 and 400 meter track, and a treadmill.

I can't decide if I need to be doing 1/4 mile or 1/2 mile intervals. And what amount to rest. Jogging "rest" isn't a rest to me in my shape. But if I need to be jogging instead of walking between reps, I will definitely do it.

bencrush

Re: Bare Minimum Mile Training

Post by bencrush » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:37 pm

Wow, very knowledgeable forum here.

FTIR

Post by FTIR » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:35 am

Sorry we haven't gotten back to you but I'm a little worried that this little bit of information I write here will be worse than nothing. I know I won't get back to this thread for a while. If you really aren't in some kind of shape don't try this.

"I have been doing an average of three 30-minute cardiac output sessions a week for the last few months, along with one day of running at pretty relaxed pace for anywhere from a mile to a 3 very slow miles."

Can you describe what a 30-min cardiac output session entails?

If you were younger, or on a HS team that did a solid warmup or if you didn't weigh 227 lbs, I would suggest trying the Sprinters and Base method.

http://www.therunzone.com/viewtopic.php ... base#p3328

My guess is that it will get you injured, but there is also a possibility that a 30-min cardiac output session looks like the S&B 200s and all you need is to know how fast to run the 200s.

Good luck

dilluh

Post by dilluh » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:10 pm

Sensible answer:

There's not enough time, but literally any easy/moderate running, in some amount of consistent weekly volume will drop your mile time (and likely your weight). If it were me, and I wasn't trying to kill myself, I would do 2-4 easy runs/jogs per week. If it feels OK, do a set of 3-5 strides at least once a week.

Instant gratification/fly-by-night answer:

If I were trying to kill myself and/or get injured and/or sick, I'd probably opt for some high intensity interval training (HIIT) method.