1/2M Result during Boston Build Up

A place for participants to post their own, or other racing reports and information. These discussions are open to runners of ALL levels.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

BoilerTom90

1/2M Result during Boston Build Up

Post by BoilerTom90 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:59 pm

Today, I had a key 1/2M race in my Boston build up. It was appropriately called the March Madness 1/2M in Cary, IL.  "Madness" because of  the timing with the NCAA tourney, and the race itself!

My time today was 1:22:22, 34th overall, 3rd in age group. It wasn't a PR, but I was very pleased with the results given the course, conditions, and that I essentially trained through this race.  The course was hilly/challenging ala Boston-like in that most of the hills come late in the race. There was a stiff wind out of the south east and a progressively harder and harder rain fail during the race. 

I've been trained by Tinman specifically for Boston since late Dec 10, but have been trained by him for the better part of the last 2.5 years.  The bulk of that training was  marathon specific using the two big workout approach. 

I'm very pleased with the progress I've made under Tinman's guidance and training plans.  As a point of reference, between 1995 and 2008 I was unable to do any consistent running due to recurring calf injuries.  I began my "comeback" in late 2008 at the age of 44.  Two years ago, after about 5 months of mileage build-up, I ran this same 1/2M under PERFECT racing conditions and RESTED legs/body and I just barely broke 1:30. 

Thanks Tinman! 

dwang_71

Re: 1/2M Result during Boston Build Up

Post by dwang_71 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:18 pm

Great Job BoilerTom! You are my inspiration!

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:44 pm

Just a quick kudos to Tom H.! He's a dedicated runner, a family man, and he shows that having the right mindset pays dividends. He even does many of his Big Workouts on a treadmill in the cold of Chicago land winters. I'll tell you, I think it's harder to do long runs with quality in them on the treadmill than running them outdoors. Anyway, I am happy for Tom H.! (Hope your son does well too this track season!)

Tinman
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Wellpark

Post by Wellpark » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:58 am

Hi BoilerT,

Well done on your result over a tough course, I am sure you are metally as well as physically prepared for Boston given those race conditions.

I am pleased but not surprised that you are getting the results without the injuries under the big T!

All the best with your continued successes.

Wellpark