10,000m race in Brussels today

A place for participants to post their own, or other racing reports and information. These discussions are open to runners of ALL levels.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

10,000m race in Brussels today

Post by Tinman » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:41 pm

http://www.diamondleague-brussels.com/e ... 0000m-Men/

Bekele is back!

Rupp, of the USA, ran an American record.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

TexNav

Re: 10,000m race in Brussels today

Post by TexNav » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:51 pm

26:48, absolutely amazing and who knows how much more improvement he can continue to make

ap4305

Post by ap4305 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:12 am

....and how much he can pull other Americans along by raising the bar. 

As times that were once outstanding become more ordinary to the top Americans, hopefully we'll see everyone raise their games and push the standards to even greater heights. 
Allan Phillips
Doctor of Physical Therapy
Tinman athlete since 2003
www.ventanapt.physio
IG: @thekettlebelldoc

Ron
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ron » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:17 am

A short highlight video of the 10,000 meter race:

[html] [/html]
-Ron
Admin
TheRunZone.com is brought to you by: Xtreme Multimedia Marketing
A leader in AMP-HTML & Responsive Website Technologies

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:21 pm

Every time a runner sets a big personal best time at the world class level I hope that it's "clean." I am a fan of Rupp, having watched him compete in high school when we lived in Oregon, so my big hope now is that his results were completely without taint. A clean result from him, and other guys nearing his level, will do a lot of good to promote running. Young people, in particular, need heroes that they want to emulate. Back in the early 1960's, when guys like Mills, Schul, Dellinger, and Ryun were reaching new heights of excellence, thousands of American kids were inspired to run in America. In New Zealand, when Snell, Halberg, and Magee set records a whole generation of runners were inspired to run. In Australia, because of Clarke's success, a generation or two of young people tried running. Again in the 1970's, in America, runners like Shorter and Rodgers inspired thousands of people to take up running. Young people need heroes because they need to think it's possible to succeed.

Congratulations to Galen Rupp for setting an American record and raising the bar of excellence for America, and dare I say, for other English speaking countries. To be honest, as I see it, the world is becoming "closer." I no longer see the big division between England and the USA, as I did when I was a kid in the 1970's. Perhaps it was the 911 terrorist attack the brought is closer together? Maybe it started with the major world wars, even earlier, that required English speaking nations to align. To me, the USA, Canada, Great Britain and Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand have far more in common, not just in language but in heroes, politics, and economics, than ever before. I even see a much stronger relationship between Scandinavian countries and English Speaking countries. For example, I have been receiving more and more requests for coaching from runners located in Sweden, Norway, and the Netherlands. Even a runner from Estonia has emailed a few times. I think there is a change going on, and it makes me feel good to know that people across the ocean can be my friends, as if they live in my own neighborhood.

African youth have many heroes that inspired them to be great runners. Thousands of kids run, and it's obvious by the depth charts why heroes there make a difference. Likewise, I am hopeful that Galen Rupp's performance inspires non-African runners to strive for the highest levels of running and shows the kids in our neighborhoods that they can be successful too.

Have a great day!

Tinman
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

jumpsss234

Post by jumpsss234 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:44 pm

Rupp definitely inspired me as I was reading about his American record last night.  Went out and broke my PB in the 5K by nearly 2.5 minutes today. 

incarnadine

Post by incarnadine » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:11 pm

Nice work, jumpsss234!

jumpsss234

Post by jumpsss234 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:16 pm

Thanks.  In January I couldn't break 26 in a 5K.  Ran 20:31 this morning, and can't wait to head out tomorrow and hit the pavement again. 

ap4305

Post by ap4305 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:59 pm

[quote="jumpsss234"]
Thanks.  In January I couldn't break 26 in a 5K.  Ran 20:31 this morning, and can't wait to head out tomorrow and hit the pavement again.
[/quote]

Great job.  Stay in control of your enthusiasm when you head out the door this week.  It's a common temptation to think "Imagine what I can do if I work even harder!"  Stick with the sound principles that got you to where you are and improvements will continue.  Maybe you already know this, but its worth the reminder to others at least. 

And you got to share the thread with Rupp and Bekele  ;)
Allan Phillips
Doctor of Physical Therapy
Tinman athlete since 2003
www.ventanapt.physio
IG: @thekettlebelldoc

jumpsss234

Post by jumpsss234 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:34 am

Yep, just doing three easy days before I jump back in to some faster stuff.  I have even decided to keep my training paces the same for a little while as well.  When I run faster than I ran yesterday, I will drop the paces.

As for Bekele and Rupp, those guys are pretty amazing.  If Bekele had just a few more weeks, perhaps he could have challenged Farah in the 10,000.  The Olympics are going to really amazing to watch.  So many storylines to consider.  I hope Rupp can improve to the point where he is able to use his kick in the last laps.  It's awesome to see him up there near the end of races, but now we need to see him with the leaders going into the home stretch.  That would get me jumping up off the couch and yelling at the TV.