New World Best Marathon Time!

A place for participants to post their own, or other racing reports and information. These discussions are open to runners of ALL levels.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

New World Best Marathon Time!

Post by Tinman » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:58 am

Patrick Makau, with the aid of several pacers through 31km, ran a new world best marathon time (2:03:38) today (pending ratification by the IAAF this is the best time ever and beat Geb's time by 21 seconds). This proves what I have said for years: the key to chopping down the marathon record (best) is to have world class pacers: guys who can run within two minutes of the world best themselves. Also, I've said the marathon time would drop when more top runners in their 20's would go after the record (best) instead of the 5,000m or 10,000m on the track. I suspect that we'll see another drop in performance to near 2:03 flat within the next 2-3 years.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

TexNav

Re: New World Best Marathon Time!

Post by TexNav » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:06 am

I'm not sure I am surprised per se, but it wasn't what I was expecting to read when I woke up and saw the running site's yesterday. I understand the theory that people would say that it is better to move up to the marathon after years of lot of aerobic base, but I also figured the marathon could benefit from taking those young, strong, not as beat up legs and put them to use in the marathon as well (and not just the 5 and 10). Perhaps this is simply what we are seeing. Amazing and it's a shame Wanjiru is still not around to get in the mix.

BoilerTom90

Re: New World Best Marathon Time!

Post by BoilerTom90 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:29 am

I found this link on another site that talks about how crucial pacing is for these guys:

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2011/09 ... world.html