Hartford Half-Marathon

A place for participants to post their own, or other racing reports and information. These discussions are open to runners of ALL levels.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Hartford Half-Marathon

Post by Tinman » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:04 pm

Congratulations to Drew Bean who placed 3rd at the Hartford (Connecticut) Half-Marathon on Saturday.

http://www.ctnow.com/about/hartford-marathon/results/
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

TexNav

Re: Hartford Half-Marathon

Post by TexNav » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:35 pm

WOW, congrats indeed, that is extremely impressive ! Thanks for sharing this Tom.

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:52 pm

I am happy for Drew. The Hartford course was hilly and there was a 10-15 mph wind. The times were slowed because of the conditions. Drew was only 50 seconds behind Nate Jenkins, who was 7th at the US Marathon Trials last time around. Nate ran 1:06 and change in June in Minnesota, and is probably in 1:05-1:06 shape now, I estimate. I think Drew would have been around 1:06 high to 1:07 low on a flatter course with not much wind. Also, Drew has virtually no hills where he lives in Orange,  Texas, and that's a disadvantage for him when he races on hilly courses.

I am glad that Drew is returning to a high fitness level. For about 4 months this year he felt bad (health wise) and couldn't figure out what was going on. He found in in August that he had a staff infection that had lingered. Once he took antibiotics he felt better and could train at a good level again without fatigue.

Drew had fun talking to Kim Smith, a world class female distance runner who is from New Zealand. Kim ran 1:11 (2 minutes behind Drew). I think Kim still lives in Rhode Island, where she attended Providence college.

Drew's been rolling along well the last 6-weeks; including some excellent Big Workouts the last month. I am excited to see how he does in a full marathon. I think he could run 2:22-23 on a good course right now (and he hasn't done specific marathon work). We are looking for a marathon race for him to run in about 5-10 weeks. If you guys have a good suggestions, please let us know. His goal is to qualify for the US Olympic Trials, so hilly or hot and humid races would not be a good idea. It would be ideal for Drew to have at least a couple guys near his caliber aiming for the US Trials time (2:19 or under).

Take care,
Tinman
Last edited by Tinman on Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

ap4305

Post by ap4305 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:31 pm

[quote="Tinman"]
We are looking for a marathon race for him to run in about 5-10 weeks. If you guys have a good suggestions, please let us know. His goal is to qualify for the US Olympic Trials, so hilly or hot and humid races would not be a good idea. It would be ideal for Drew to have at least a couple guys near his caliber aiming for the US Trials time (2:19 or under).

[/quote]

Some ideas...

Richmond (Early Nov) - Moderately quick course.  Temps are usually ideal but you can get inclement weather (wind, rain).  You might find a couple of Kenyans up front but otherwise it is relatively slim in the 2:19 range.

Philadelphia (Late Nov) - Great race.  I ran a huge PR there several years ago.  Weather is usually good.  There is very little prize money, so it doesn't get the strongest elite field, but because Philly has a lot of local depth there might be several guys taking a last shot at the standard.  There's also a Kenyan group nearby, so there's always a chance a couple of them could show up for a quick payday. 

Cal International (early Dec) - Usually a deep field.  Can be a fast race, but the course is deceptively tougher than most expect.  Occasionally the weather can turn nasty (cold, wind, rain).  ATimmins is the man to ask about this race.

Indianapolis (early Nov) - Paul Petersen ran a qualifier there.  He has a good race report on his blog. 

Rocket City Alabama (early Dec) - Very flat course, but not sure how much competition there'd be up front. 
Allan Phillips
Doctor of Physical Therapy
Tinman athlete since 2003
www.ventanapt.physio
IG: @thekettlebelldoc

Radical Ron

Post by Radical Ron » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:20 pm

Congrats Drew!  Very nice!