Update on Kevin Miller

A place for participants to post their own, or other racing reports and information. These discussions are open to runners of ALL levels.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Update on Kevin Miller

Post by Tinman » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:47 pm

Kevin Miller just emailed an update to me about his half-marathon race in Kansas City. He set the Missouri record for his age division by running 1:14:20 and he won his age group award, too. He's 51 years old!
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

Clell

Re: Update on Kevin Miller

Post by Clell » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:01 pm

8)  Super Cool!

Wellpark

Post by Wellpark » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:37 pm

Impressive Kevin (and Tom)

I am suitably inspired!

Wellpark

Browatt

Post by Browatt » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:52 pm

Congrats Kevin!  I saw Kevin at about mile 8.5.  What amazes me is that he can run super fast times with no noticeable competition.  He was basically running alone when I saw him.  Nice job. 

kevinm

Post by kevinm » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:52 am

Thanks everyone!

I was hoping to run about a minute faster, but I wasn't feeling it on race day. I was wondering at the three mile mark, if was even going to make it to the finish line. It was kind of a "lazy" feeling. I had to really concentrate, and forced myself to just think about the next mile! After reflecting on it now for a couple of weeks, I have a theory. The Saturday before the half, I ran a 5k race. I didn't even decide to run the 5k, until early, the morning of the race. I couldn't sleep, so I decided to get up and run the race instead of doing the 5  x 1k's of CV work by myself on the track, that coach had planned for me. I didn't taper at all, and had 13 miles the day before, including a 9 miler at 10:00 p.m. . I hadn't experienced this "lazy" feeling before in a race that I can remember. I'm curious if anyone else has had this experience! Of course its possible, it was just one of those days.

Kevin

Jim

Post by Jim » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:46 am

Hi Kevin,
I have had that feeling some times and for me it seems to be a function of carbs in my system.  It's almost a bonky type feeling. I tend not to be one of these guys who can train through a race and still perform well, I need a bit of a taper.  Like half mileage thr two days before a race and make sure I stay hydrated and eat well.  The fitter I get the less a taper I need so at your level you don't need much. But that is a lot of running in the days before a Half. 

Still, excellent performance!

kevinm

Post by kevinm » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:53 am

Thanks for the input Jim! It seems there is always something we can learn about our limits and what our bodies respond well to.

Kevin

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:27 pm

Kevin,
What events are you running in Olathe?  I wish I was there but I have a very busy work and travel schedule this summer.  I will be getting in a few longer road races and maybe some fast 5kms in the fall.

TexNav

Post by TexNav » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:01 pm

I spied this....impressive as usual

http://www.usatf.org/events/2013/USAMas ... s/F585.asp