15:09 at Foot Locker South

A place for participants to post their own, or other racing reports and information. These discussions are open to runners of ALL levels.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

runthe8

15:09 at Foot Locker South

Post by runthe8 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:25 pm

Just reporting in.  My sophomore son, Andrew Hunter, ran 5K PR of 15:09 at FL South today and placed 16th. No trip to San Diego this year- but next year looks pretty good!  It was a very fast field- the top 11 finishers were sub 15 minutes this year.  He was the top underclassman in the race.  He decided to stay in the top 15-20 as long as he could and just see how it went, which we felt was the best strategy since the course narrows and it makes it very difficult to move up through the middle of the race.  He pretty much was in 15th to 16th place the whole race.  The pace was blazing- 4:40 at the mile for him (the winner was 4:32 I think).  We didn't do anything fancy with his training in the last two weeks- we just repeated the two weeks of training he did before his state meet, except we subbed in CV 1000's for the threshold miles he did before states.  He felt strong and peppy.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the encouragement and help this season.  It was such a great season for him.  I think we are going to have him run in an indoor meet in the next week (he will have to run in a college meet, unattached, since we have no indoor track season in our county and he isn't allowed to run in any sanctioned high school meets) and try to get  NB emerging elite indoor qualifying time in the 2 mile and then take a week or so off before we start our winter training.

kevinm

Re: 15:09 at Foot Locker South

Post by kevinm » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:38 pm

Wow!! Very nice for a sophomore. Congratulations to you both.

Kevin

ZachCC

Re: 15:09 at Foot Locker South

Post by ZachCC » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:59 pm

Smokin! Congrats!