Help with my training schedule

A place for participants to share personal training logs, as well as training plans and ideas. These discussions are open to runners of ALL levels.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

ddtspir06

Help with my training schedule

Post by ddtspir06 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:46 am

Hey can anyone take a look at my training program and give me some feedback?

Plan last about: 26-28 weeks.
Goal race: 5k- if i PR on the 5k i might extend the training a bit to include more anaerobic workout and try a 1500/mile.

Training Plan:

Base 12 weeks(1 aerobic progression run + 1 lactate threshold interval workout each week) progress mileage 45-65

Hill phase 4 weeks ( 1 Hill repeat workout + 1 threshold type workout- Tinman tempo, threshold run, etc. keep mileage similar to peak 55-65.

Tinman CV intervals 4-6 weeks ( 1 CV workout (4-6 mile worth + 1 threshold run followed up with some 200s) mileage drop slightly 50-55

5k vo2 max interval 3 weeks ( 1 vo2 max (3-4 mile worth + 1 threshold run workout followed with 200s/300s) mileage drop a bit more 45-50

taper 1 week

On my other days i alternate between strength training via circuit (pushup/situp) and strides 2-8 x 100 meters.

Also forgot to add weekly long run all season long.

Might start incorporating short hill sprints during base phase and continuing that till about hill phase. the short 8-10 sec. all out hill sprints that brad hudson talks a lot about.
Last edited by ddtspir06 on Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ap4305

Re: Help with my training schedule

Post by ap4305 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:01 pm

During base phase you can integrate some fartlek sessions around 5k-10k pace.  Since the progression runs and tempo intervals will target similar energy demands, you could possbily do a three workout cycle rotating through a progression run, faster farlek, and a tempo session.  A basic standalone fartlek would be 12-16 x 1 minute @5k-8k effort alternated with one minute easy.  Plenty of options when designing farleks, but I think you will benefit in the long term from integrating some faster running in this fashion into your base phase.  If you keep yourself honest with the pace of the recovery jogs, the fartlek serves as a stamina tool in addition to a speed session.   

While I respect Hudson's coaching immensely and consider him one of the brightest minds in the sport, I am not a big fan of implementing his ballistic hill sprints without direct coaching supervision.  Big difference between Coach Hudson personally watching an athlete with an eagle eye (or any other astute coach) versus buying the book or reading something online and trying to find the appropriate mix of hill grade, volume, distance, and running mechanics.  If we are literally talking "All-Out", the risk outweighs the rewards in an unsupervised environment, in my opinion.  I think hard (but not all out) hill surges 10-20 seconds provide a good balance.

Regarding your supplementary work, if you are including pushups and situps, make sure you include pulling work, such as pull/chin ups or rows.  I know pushups and situps have become sort of a runner's "ritual" over the years due to their convenience, but doing those without any complementary movement in the opposite direction usually contributes to postural issues, which eventually can transfer into deeper movement imbalances often resulting in injury.  I'd prefer to see different "core" work than the situps, but if you continue to do them make sure your posture remains perfect.     

ddtspir06

Post by ddtspir06 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:12 pm

From what i read, during base phase you should not do any running faster than 10k pace, beside of course the sprints/ strides, since these don't accumulate much acidosis in the legs bc of the short duration (usually between 8-30 sec.)

With that said, I'm trying to figure out different aerobic work during my 12 week base phase. A typical week would go something like this.

Sunday: easy 3 + light strides and/or circuit
Monday: 8-10 progression (finish with some strides)
Tuesday: AM: 3 PM: 6 light circuit
Wednesday: 8-10 aerobically hard run aka tinman tempo or similar (again some strides afterwards)
Thursday: AM 3 PM: 6 light circuit
Friday: 7-9 steady state/ moderate run some strides after
Saturday: Long run 11-14

Wellpark

Post by Wellpark » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:32 am

Hi ddtspir06,

Your schedule has the look of someone who has read and considered many approaches to running then decided that you will adapt Tnman/Lydiard and Hudson principles.

on paper it all looks and sounds textbook. You won't go far wrong with your approach, especially after a few years of cycling through this approach and perhaps gradually increasing mileage and pace as your body genuinley adapts.

The thing is, most schdules look great on paper. Without knowing your history, present training capacity and future goals, it is hard to know whether this is the right schedule for you.

This is where a coach comes in. Someone who understands your strengths and weaknesses, your injury history what sessions you might respond well to and others that require a different approach.

This might be why AP is discouraging the 10m hill sprints. On paper it looks almost like common sense and the right thing to do. Without supervision or someone to feedback to after each session it could be an element that may destroy your carefully worked schedule.

On the surface, I like your schedule, but would be keen to know that it was sustainable and repeatable for you.

I wish you every success and I would love to hear how you are progressing with the plan.

Wellpark