Running shoes

A place for participants to share personal training logs, as well as training plans and ideas. These discussions are open to runners of ALL levels.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

marath8

Running shoes

Post by marath8 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:37 pm

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this and mods feel free to move it if it is. I have ran in asics gel nimbus for several years. Is it worth trying to find a lighter style of shoe in regards to a faster running time. I bought a pair of mizuno wave riders in June and developed a strange foot injury shortly after. I am willing to try again with the same shoe or another one if it may help improve my times. I have read a reported 1 second mile improvement in time with each ounce decrease in shoe weight. I am currently running 55 mpw and increasing to 65-70 over the next couple of months. I have had plantar fasciitis in the past but use arch supports since and have had no problems. I am 5'11 156 with a smaller frame. thanks.

BoilerTom90

Re: Running shoes

Post by BoilerTom90 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:06 pm

I'm just slightly shorter than you and a few pounds lighter.  I wear Nimbus too, and have for years, for training. I've tried different shoes in the past and always come back to the Nimbus.  However, I don't race in the Nimbus. Do you?
When I race, I go as light as possible (e.g. Nike LunaRacer). 

For training,  I generally don't care if my shoes are a bit heavier.  I figure I'll get that much more of a boost from the lighter shoe on race day.

marath8

Post by marath8 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:18 pm

I race in the gel nimbus. I used to run in nike air pegasus prior to that. Do you do you long runs or any other training in you lighter shoes. I would be worried that my feet would not tolerate the shoes come race day.

BoilerTom90

Post by BoilerTom90 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:30 pm

I do all of my training including long runs and CV work in the Nimbus. On race day, it has never been a problem for me to switch to the racing flats.  Towards the end of the marathon, everything hurts, not just my feet.  My feet probably hurt the least.  I think the LunaRacers provide quite a bit of cushion, especially for how light they are. 

I realize it's recommended to try out your race-day shoes on a training run, but I've never done that. I essentially did that test with the LunaRacers on shorter races (such as 5Ks, 10Ks, and 1/2Ms) before trying them in the full marathon. When they passed the 1/2M test, I figured I was good for another 13 miles in them.

Bruce Lee

Post by Bruce Lee » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:37 am

Have at least two pairs of trainning shoes for you don't wear the same one two days in a row...

rycase

Post by rycase » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:14 pm

[quote="Bruce Lee"]
Have at least two pairs of trainning shoes for you don't wear the same one two days in a row...
[/quote]

+1 - some of the best advice out there. The shoe life will be longer and further the shoes actually break down much faster if they do not restore / heal for a day.

rycase

Post by rycase » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:18 pm

I actually do not know if shoe weight is as much of an impact for me as the heal to toe drop on some of the trainers. You may see 15mm+ on some models which causes severe aggravation for me.

I will make an assumption that you prefer a bit wider shoes (even though the nimbus is narrow in the asics world, they are still fairly wide shoes.

Have you tried the brooks launch (soon to be discontinued) ?

COACHBILLY

Post by COACHBILLY » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:54 pm

if you've recently dealt with PF, you might want to try something more minimal that gives your feet and ankles more flexibility. Had PF in January & was told by an ortho it would take forever to heal. Followed his advice for a while, then went the opposite direction & bought NB MT100. PF gone in a week..
I run almost exclusively on trails though, so if you're a road runner, you may want to do something different.