First Run Since Arthrosurface Implant Surgery

A place for participants to share personal training logs, as well as training plans and ideas. These discussions are open to runners of ALL levels.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

Ron
Administrator
Administrator

First Run Since Arthrosurface Implant Surgery

Post by Ron » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:03 am

I completed my first run this morning since undergoing Arthrosurface Implantation Surgery nine weeks ago. It was only 3-slow miles on a dirt trail, but I'll take it.

The surgery ended up being more that was originally planned of a Uni-Cap implant. When the surgeon was in my Medial Knee Compartment he found extensive damage on the tip of my Tibia so he opted to also do a Hemi-Cap implantation (In laymen's terms he cut off the tip of my Tibia an put a steel cap on it which rides on the backside of my knee cap).

My family and I are moving this weekend, so I'll wait until the beginning of next week to give it another shot.

[html][/html]
-Ron
Admin
TheRunZone.com is brought to you by: Xtreme Multimedia Marketing
A leader in AMP-HTML & Responsive Website Technologies

Browatt

Re: First Run Since Arthrosurface Implant Surgery

Post by Browatt » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:18 pm

Best wishes with your recovery.  Slow runs are better than no runs. For me the best thing about running is running and striving to improve within my own limits. 

Ron
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ron » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:13 am

Thanks Browatt. I've gone from 100 plus miles per week and multiple marathons to zero, so I'm thankful to just be able to get out the door at this point. I'm not sure that I'll ever be able to compete near the level I used to again, but I'm okay with that. My only other option was a full knee replacement and with that came no chance of ever running again.
-Ron
Admin

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:50 pm

Hey Ron!

Congratulations - it's a big deal when you've been under the knife!  Plus, the uncertainty of not knowing if you'll be able to run again is hard for a runner; so, now you know you can do it.

Have a good move!

Take care,

Tom
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

TexNav

Post by TexNav » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:56 pm

Great to hear that you are at least getting out there now. You never know, it may not be a "Six-Million Dollar" investment, but you might enjoy some smaller scale benefits of being rebuilt like Steve Austin did.

kurtmo

Post by kurtmo » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:56 pm

Just coming back myself from minor knee surgery (medial meniscus tear). FWIW, I hear that Dick Beardsley is running on a full knee replacement.

http://dickbeardsley.blogspot.com/2011/ ... t-tkr.html

His doc wasn't behind him running on the FKR, but he knew Dick would. The story I've heard was that the Dick asked the doc to look at the xrays post surgery and asked him to guess if he was running on it. Doc thought things looked good, so he runs. Pretty amazing! There is hope!

Ron
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ron » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:23 pm

I've managed to alternate between bike and run every day so far this week. Still dealing with quite a bit of discomfort but I'll keep plugging along.
Good luck with your recovery kurtmo.
-Ron
Admin