Very first marathon workout 8 weeks before race?

A place for participants to share personal training logs, as well as training plans and ideas. These discussions are open to runners of ALL levels.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

kresimir.karas@gmail.com

Very first marathon workout 8 weeks before race?

Post by kresimir.karas@gmail.com » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:44 pm

What would be the very first marathon workout (8 weeks before marathon) to start?
I'm on 4 weeks of Tinman philosophy training (CV, TTempo, strides) and i feel much quickier than before. Now i must enter marathon phase "Big workouts phase"). Distance is not problem for me, speed is. I run several ultramarathons, and over 20 marathons with PR of 3:40.

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Very first marathon workout 8 weeks before race?

Post by Tinman » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:58 pm

Try this:

2 miles easy warm up. Then, alternate 1 mile at Marathon Pace (MP) with 1 mile at an Easy pace. Back and forth! How many miles you run like this depends upon how many miles your long run was before you started doing this Wave Workout. If you have built to, let's say, 18 miles, during your basic long runs prior to now, then use that amount for your Wave Workout.  Maybe do the Wave this weekend. Next week, bump your long run to 20 miles, mostly easy and finish the last 2-3 miles at a Moderate pace. The following week, run 20 miles at a Wave Pace. The following week run 22 miles. The next week run a Wave 22-miler. You can run half-marathon reps, CV reps, hill reps, threshold reps, progression runs, or Segment Reps (basically, a moderate to Marathon Pace is long reps - like 2-5 mile reps - with walking breaks for a mid-week workout each week.

Tinman
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com

kresimir.karas@gmail.com

Post by kresimir.karas@gmail.com » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:58 am

Thank you , i can't find your post about best way to calculate marathon pace. I think you said that you calculate from 10k time trial? Am i wrong?

Tinman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tinman » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:44 pm

Runners who are very well conditioned for the marathon can run 10% slower in the marathon compared to the 10k, but most runners are 12-15%. My advice is to use 15% unless you are sure that your endurance is good and your efficiency is high.
Tinman
(coaching available)
Inquire via email:
runfastcoach@gmail.com