Three weeks out from the marathon...

A place for participants to share personal training logs, as well as training plans and ideas. These discussions are open to runners of ALL levels.

Moderators: Moderator, Global Moderator

J2R

Three weeks out from the marathon...

Post by J2R » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:13 pm

Just came across this site, and I have to say that I'm amazed I've missed it for so long - it seems to have just the kind of approach backed up by evidence that I've been looking for. I'm pretty sure I'll be getting much more into Tinman's methods in the very near future.

First, though, I have a marathon coming up, on October 28, and although it's far too late for any changes I make to have much of a positive impact, I'm still interested in what I might best do between now and the marathon date. I am very keen on doing a sub-3 hour marathon at some point, and at the age of 52, I'm aware that it's not going to be getting any easier. The marathon in question, Frankfurt, is a fast, flat course, so that's a positive thing, and I will be having a go at a sub3.

Realistically I don't expect to get it, though, because by the standards of pretty well all marathon training programmes, I've been running woefully few miles. Unfortunately the last few months have been my busiest for many years, which has scuppered my plans for serious weekly mileage, with the result that I've averaged probably no more than 30-32 miles per week. I've had a few weeks in the 40s, a couple in the 50s, but none higher than that. I seem to do reasonably well on low mileage, though - in 2007 I ran a comfortable 3:11 on what I think was 21 miles a week average. What gives me some hope is that in April this year I ran 3:08, and I was far less trained then than I am now. I've not done many races this year, but I did an 18:04 5K in June, and last weekend did a 37:35 10K (strong winds probably cost me about 10 seconds or so).  I've been tending to do a lot of tempo runs of late - a couple of days ago, for example, I did an 11 miler at a pace of around 6:30 (possibly too fast).

So, given where I am now, what would be the best way, Tinman style, to spend my last 23 days before the marathon?

After the marathon, if I don't make my target, I'll be piling on the miles, in order to have another go, at London in April.